Crisis residential centers — Establishment — Staff — Duties — Semi-secure facilities — Secure facilities.
(1) The department shall establish, through performance-based contracts with private or public vendors, regional crisis residential centers with semi-secure facilities. These facilities shall be structured group care facilities licensed under rules adopted by the department and shall have an average of at least four adult staff members and in no event less than three adult staff members to every eight children.
(2) Within available funds appropriated for this purpose, the department shall establish, through performance-based contracts with private or public vendors, regional crisis residential centers with secure facilities. These facilities shall be facilities licensed under rules adopted by the department. These centers may also include semi-secure facilities and to such extent shall be subject to subsection (1) of this section.
(3) The department shall, in addition to the facilities established under subsections (1) and (2) of this section, establish additional crisis residential centers pursuant to performance-based contracts with licensed private group care facilities.
(4) The department is authorized to allow contracting entities to include a combination of secure or semi-secure crisis residential centers as defined in RCW 13.32A.030 and/or HOPE centers pursuant to RCW 74.15.220 in the same building or structure. The department shall permit the colocation of these centers only if the entity operating the facility agrees to designate a particular number of beds to each type of center that is located within the building or structure.
(5) The staff at the facilities established under this section shall be trained so that they may effectively counsel juveniles admitted to the centers, provide treatment, supervision, and structure to the juveniles that recognize the need for support and the varying circumstances that cause children to leave their families, and carry out the responsibilities stated in RCW 13.32A.090. The responsibilities stated in RCW 13.32A.090 may, in any of the centers, be carried out by the department.
(6) The secure facilities located within crisis residential centers shall be operated to conform with the definition in RCW 13.32A.030. The facilities shall have an average of no less than one adult staff member to every ten children. The staffing ratio shall continue to ensure the safety of the children.
(7) If a secure crisis residential center is located in or adjacent to a secure juvenile detention facility, the center shall be operated in a manner that prevents in-person contact between the residents of the center and the persons held in such facility.
[2011 c 240 § 1; 2009 c 520 § 53; 1998 c 296 § 4; 1995 c 312 § 60; 1979 c 155 § 78.]
| Findings -- Intent -- Part headings not law -- Short title -- 1998 c 296: See notes following RCW 74.13.025.|
Short title -- 1995 c 312: See note following RCW 13.32A.010.
Effective date -- Severability -- 1979 c 155: See notes following RCW 13.04.011.