Definitions — Fraud and abuse.
The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Abuse" means any intentional use of public assistance benefits that constitutes a violation of any state statute or regulation relating to the use of public assistance benefits. This definition excludes medicaid and other medical programs as defined in chapter 74.09 RCW, and fraud and abuse committed by medical providers and recipients of medicaid and other medical program services.
(2) "Disclosable information" means public information that (a) is not exempt from disclosure under chapter 42.56 RCW; and (b) does not pertain to an ongoing investigation.
(3) "Fraud" means an intentional deception or misrepresentation made by a person with the knowledge that the deception could result in some unauthorized benefit to himself or herself or some other person.
(4) "Office" means the office of fraud and accountability.
(5) "Public assistance" or "public assistance programs" means public aid to persons in need including assistance grants, food assistance, work relief, disability lifeline benefits, temporary assistance for needy families, and, for purposes of this section, working connections child care subsidies. This definition excludes medicaid and other medical programs as defined in chapter 74.09 RCW, and fraud and abuse committed by medical providers and recipients of medicaid and other medical program services.
[2011 1st sp.s. c 42 § 21.]
| Finding -- 2011 1st sp.s. c 42: "The legislature finds that eliminating waste, fraud, and abuse of public assistance benefits should be a priority of the department of social and health services, and this can best be reflected in a newly organized, accountable, and proactive fraud unit directly under the secretary's authority with the resources necessary to combat fraud and to ensure the confidence of the public in the critical social safety net programs it funds." [2011 1st sp.s. c 42 § 20.]|
Findings -- Intent -- Effective date -- 2011 1st sp.s. c 42: See notes following RCW 74.08A.260.