Selling covered electronic products without participating in an approved plan prohibited — Written warning — Penalty — Failure to comply with manufacturer registration requirements.
(1) No manufacturer may sell or offer for sale a covered electronic product in or into the state unless the manufacturer of the covered electronic product is participating in an approved plan. The department shall send a written warning to a manufacturer that does not have an approved plan or is not participating in an approved plan as required under RCW 70.95N.050. The written warning must inform the manufacturer that it must participate in an approved plan within thirty days of the notice. Any violation after the initial written warning shall be assessed a penalty of up to ten thousand dollars for each violation.
(2) If the authority or any authorized party fails to implement their approved plan, the department must assess a penalty of up to five thousand dollars for the first violation along with notification that the authority or authorized party must implement its plan within thirty days of the violation. After thirty days, the authority or any authorized party failing to implement their approved plan must be assessed a penalty of up to ten thousand dollars for the second and each subsequent violation.
(3) Any person that does not comply with manufacturer registration requirements under RCW 70.95N.040, education and outreach requirements under RCW 70.95N.120, reporting requirements under RCW 70.95N.140, labeling requirements under RCW 70.95N.160, retailer responsibility requirements under RCW 70.95N.170, collector or transporter registration requirements under RCW 70.95N.240, or requirements under RCW 70.95N.250 and *section 26 of this act, must first receive a written warning including a copy of the requirements under this chapter and thirty days to correct the violation. After thirty days, a person must be assessed a penalty of up to one thousand dollars for the first violation and up to two thousand dollars for the second and each subsequent violation.
(4) All penalties levied under this section must be deposited into the electronic products recycling account created under RCW 70.95N.130.
(5) The department shall enforce this section.
[2006 c 183 § 27.]
| *Reviser's note: Section 26 of this act was vetoed by the governor.|