(1) Every resident insurance producer licensed under this chapter on or after July 1, 2009, who places insurance either directly or indirectly with an insurer with which the insurance producer is not appointed as an agent must maintain in force while so licensed a bond in favor of the people of the state of Washington or a named insured such that the people of Washington are covered by the bond, executed by an authorized corporate surety approved by the commissioner, in the amount of two thousand five hundred dollars, or five percent of the premiums brokered in the previous calendar year, whichever is greater, but not to exceed one hundred thousand dollars total aggregate liability. The bond may be continuous in form, and total aggregate liability on the bond may be limited to the required amount of the bond. The bond must be contingent on the accounting by the resident insurance producer to any person requesting the resident insurance producer to obtain insurance, for moneys or premiums collected in connection therewith.
(2) Authorized insurance producers of a business entity may meet the requirements of this section with a bond in the name of the business entity, continuous in form, and in the amounts set forth in subsection (1) of this section. Insurance producers may meet the requirements of this section with a bond in the name of an association. The association must have been in existence for five years, have common membership, and have been formed for a purpose other than obtaining a bond. An individual insurance producer remains responsible for assuring that a bond is in effect and is for the correct amount.
(3) The surety may cancel the bond and be released from further liability thereunder upon thirty days' written notice in advance to the principal. The cancellation does not affect any liability incurred or accrued under the bond before the termination of the thirty-day period.
(4) The insurance producer's license may be revoked if the insurance producer acts without a bond that is required under this section.
(5) If a party injured under the terms of the bond requests the insurance producer to provide the name of the surety and the bond number, the insurance producer must provide the information within three working days after receiving the request.
(6) Members of an association may meet the requirements of this section with a bond in the name of the association that is continuous in form and in the amounts set forth in subsection (1) of this section for each participating member.
(7) All records relating to the bond required by this section must be kept available and open to the inspection of the commissioner at any business time.
[2010 c 18 § 4; 2009 c 162 § 21; 2007 c 117 § 16; 1979 ex.s. c 269 § 8; 1977 ex.s. c 182 § 4; 1947 c 79 § .17.25; Rem. Supp. 1947 § 45.17.25.]
| Effective date -- 2010 c 18: See note following RCW 48.15.070.|
Effective date -- 2009 c 162: See note following RCW 48.03.020.
Effective date, implementation -- 1979 ex.s. c 269: See note following RCW 48.14.010.