Alaskan Way viaduct, Seattle Seawall, and state route No. 520 improvements — Expert review panel — Governor's finding.
The legislature recognizes that the finance and project implementation planning processes required for the Alaskan Way viaduct and Seattle Seawall replacement project and the state route number 520 bridge replacement and HOV project cannot guarantee appropriate decisions unless key study assumptions are reasonable with respect to each project.
To assure appropriate finance plan and project implementation plan assumptions, an expert review panel shall be appointed to provide independent financial and technical review for development of a finance plan and project implementation plan for the projects described in this section.
(1) The expert review panel shall consist of five to ten members who are recognized experts in relevant fields, such as planning, engineering, finance, law, the environment, emerging transportation technologies, geography, and economics.
(2) The expert review panel shall be selected cooperatively by the chairs of the senate and house transportation committees, the secretary of the department of transportation, and the governor to assure a balance of disciplines.
(3) The chair of the expert review panel shall be designated by the governor.
(4) The expert review panel shall, with respect to completion of the project alternatives as described in the draft environmental impact statement of each project:
(a) Review the finance plan for the project to ensure that it clearly identifies secured and anticipated funding sources and is feasible and sufficient;
(b) Review the project implementation plan covering all state and local permitting and mitigation approvals that ensure the most expeditious and cost-effective delivery of the project; and
(c) Report its findings and recommendations on the items described in (a) and (b) of this subsection to the joint transportation committee, the office of financial management, and the governor by September 1, 2006.
(5) Upon receipt of the expert review panel's findings and recommendations under subsection (4)(c) of this section, the governor must make a finding of whether each finance plan is feasible and sufficient to complete the project as described in the draft environmental impact statement.
(6) Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to delay construction of any of the projects referenced in this section.
[2006 c 311 § 28.]
| Findings -- 2006 c 311: See note following RCW 36.120.020.|