Incompetent, unqualified driver — Reexamination — Physician's certificate — Action by department.
(1) The department, having good cause to believe that a licensed driver is incompetent or otherwise not qualified to be licensed may upon notice require him or her to submit to an examination.
(2) The department shall require a driver reported under RCW 46.52.070 (2) and (3) to submit to an examination. The examination must be completed no later than one hundred twenty days after the accident report required under RCW 46.52.070(2) is received by the department unless the department, at the request of the operator, extends the time for examination.
(3) The department may in addition to an examination under this section require such person to obtain a certificate showing his or her condition signed by a licensed physician or other proper authority designated by the department.
(4) Upon the conclusion of an examination under this section the department shall take driver improvement action as may be appropriate and may suspend or revoke the license of such person or permit him or her to retain such license, or may issue a license subject to restrictions as permitted under RCW 46.20.041. The department may suspend or revoke the license of such person who refuses or neglects to submit to such examination.
(5) The department may require payment of a fee by a person subject to examination under this section. The department shall set the fee in an amount that is sufficient to cover the additional cost of administering examinations required by this section.
[1999 c 351 § 3; 1998 c 165 § 13; 1965 ex.s. c 121 § 26.]
| Effective date -- 1998 c 165 §§ 8-14: See note following RCW 46.52.070.|
Short title -- 1998 c 165: See note following RCW 43.59.010.