The following terms wherever used or referred to in this chapter, shall have the following meanings, unless a different meaning is clearly indicated by the context:
(1) "Agency" or "community renewal agency" means a public agency created under RCW 35.81.160 or otherwise authorized to serve as a community renewal agency under this chapter.
(2) "Blighted area" means an area which, by reason of the substantial physical dilapidation, deterioration, defective construction, material, and arrangement and/or age or obsolescence of buildings or improvements, whether residential or nonresidential, inadequate provision for ventilation, light, proper sanitary facilities, or open spaces as determined by competent appraisers on the basis of an examination of the building standards of the municipality; inappropriate uses of land or buildings; existence of overcrowding of buildings or structures; defective or inadequate street layout; faulty lot layout in relation to size, adequacy, accessibility or usefulness; excessive land coverage; insanitary or unsafe conditions; deterioration of site; existence of hazardous soils, substances, or materials; diversity of ownership; tax or special assessment delinquency exceeding the fair value of the land; defective or unusual conditions of title; improper subdivision or obsolete platting; existence of persistent and high levels of unemployment or poverty within the area; or the existence of conditions that endanger life or property by fire or other causes, or any combination of such factors, is conducive to ill health, transmission of disease, infant mortality, juvenile delinquency or crime; substantially impairs or arrests the sound growth of the municipality or its environs, or retards the provision of housing accommodations; constitutes an economic or social liability; and/or is detrimental, or constitutes a menace, to the public health, safety, welfare, or morals in its present condition and use.
(3) "Bonds" means any bonds, notes, or debentures (including refunding obligations) herein authorized to be issued.
(4) "Clerk" means the clerk or other official of the municipality who is the custodian of the official records of such municipality.
(5) "Community renewal area" means a blighted area which the local governing body designates as appropriate for a community renewal project or projects.
(6) "Community renewal plan" means a plan, as it exists from time to time, for a community renewal project or projects, which plan (a) shall be consistent with the comprehensive plan or parts thereof for the municipality as a whole; (b) shall be sufficiently complete to indicate such land acquisition, demolition, and removal of structures, redevelopment, improvements, and rehabilitation as may be proposed to be carried out in the community renewal area; zoning and planning changes, if any, which may include, among other things, changes related to land uses, densities, and building requirements; and the plan's relationship to definite local objectives respecting appropriate land uses, improved traffic, public transportation, public utilities, recreational and community facilities, and other public improvements; (c) shall address the need for replacement housing, within the municipality, where existing housing is lost as a result of the community renewal project undertaken by the municipality under this chapter; and (d) may include a plan to address any persistent high levels of unemployment or poverty in the community renewal area.
(7) "Community renewal project" includes one or more undertakings or activities of a municipality in a community renewal area: (a) For the elimination and the prevention of the development or spread of blight; (b) for encouraging economic growth through job creation or retention; (c) for redevelopment or rehabilitation in a community renewal area; or (d) any combination or part thereof in accordance with a community renewal plan.
(8) "Federal government" includes the United States of America or any agency or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of the United States of America.
(9) "Local governing body" means the council or other legislative body charged with governing the municipality.
(10) "Mayor" means the chief executive of a city or town, or the elected executive, if any, of any county operating under a charter, or the county legislative authority of any other county.
(11) "Municipality" means any incorporated city or town, or any county, in the state.
(12) "Obligee" includes any bondholder, agent, or trustees for any bondholders, any lessor demising to the municipality property used in connection with a community renewal project, or any assignee or assignees of such lessor's interest or any part thereof, and the federal government when it is a party to any contract with the municipality.
(13) "Person" means any individual, firm, partnership, corporation, company, association, joint stock association, or school district; and shall include any trustee, receiver, assignee, or other person acting in a similar representative capacity.
(14) "Persons of low income" means an individual with an annual income, at the time of hiring or at the time assistance is provided under this chapter, that does not exceed the higher of either: (a) Eighty percent of the statewide median family income, adjusted for family size; or (b) eighty percent of the median family income for the county or standard metropolitan statistical area, adjusted for family size, where the community renewal area is located.
(15) "Public body" means the state or any municipality, board, commission, district, or any other subdivision or public body of the state or of a municipality.
(16) "Public officer" means any officer who is in charge of any department or branch of the government of the municipality relating to health, fire, building regulations, or to other activities concerning dwellings in the municipality.
(17) "Real property" includes all lands, including improvements and fixtures thereon, and property of any nature appurtenant thereto, or used in connection therewith, and every estate, interest, right and use, legal or equitable, therein, including terms for years and liens by way of judgment, mortgage or otherwise.
(18) "Redevelopment" includes (a) acquisition of a blighted area or portion thereof; (b) demolition and removal of buildings and improvements; (c) installation, construction or reconstruction of streets, utilities, parks, playgrounds, and other improvements necessary for carrying out in the area the community renewal provisions of this chapter in accordance with the community renewal plan; (d) making the land available for development or redevelopment by private enterprise or public bodies (including sale, initial leasing, or retention by the municipality itself) at its fair value for uses in accordance with the community renewal plan; and (e) making loans or grants to a person or public body for the purpose of creating or retaining jobs, a substantial portion of which, as determined by the municipality, shall be for persons of low income.
(19) "Rehabilitation" includes the restoration and renewal of a blighted area or portion thereof, in accordance with a community renewal plan, by (a) carrying out plans for a program of voluntary or compulsory repair and rehabilitation of buildings or other improvements; (b) acquisition of real property and demolition or removal of buildings and improvements thereon where necessary to eliminate unhealthful, insanitary or unsafe conditions, lessen density, reduce traffic hazards, eliminate obsolete or other uses detrimental to the public welfare, or otherwise to remove or prevent the spread of blight or deterioration, or to provide land for needed public facilities; (c) installation, construction or reconstruction of streets, utilities, parks, playgrounds, and other improvements necessary for carrying out in the area the community renewal provisions of this chapter; and (d) the disposition of any property acquired in such community renewal area for uses in accordance with such community renewal plan.
[2002 c 218 § 1; 1991 c 363 § 41; 1975 c 3 § 1; 1971 ex.s. c 177 § 6; 1965 c 7 § 35.81.010. Prior: 1957 c 42 § 1. Formerly RCW 35.81.010.]
| Severability -- Savings -- Construction -- 2002 c 218: See notes following RCW 35.81.005.|
Purpose -- Captions not law -- 1991 c 363: See notes following RCW 2.32.180.