(1) Except as provided in subsection (4) of this section, all costs, fines, forfeitures and penalties assessed and collected, in whole or in part, by district courts because of violations of city ordinances shall be remitted by the clerk of the district court at least monthly directly to the treasurer of the city wherein the violation occurred.
(2) Except as provided in RCW 9A.88.120
, the city treasurer shall remit monthly thirty-two percent of the noninterest money received under this section, other than for parking infractions and certain costs, to the state treasurer. "Certain costs" as used in this subsection, means those costs awarded to prevailing parties in civil actions under RCW 4.84.010
, or those costs awarded against convicted defendants in criminal actions under RCW 10.01.160
, or 36.18.040
, or other similar statutes if such costs are specifically designated as costs by the court and are awarded for the specific reimbursement of costs incurred by the state, county, city, or town in the prosecution of the case, including the fees of defense counsel. Money remitted under this subsection to the state treasurer shall be deposited in the state general fund.
(3) The balance of the noninterest money received under this section shall be retained by the city and deposited as provided by law.
(4) All money collected for city parking infractions shall be remitted by the clerk of the district court at least monthly to the city treasurer for deposit in the city's general fund.
(5) Penalties, fines, bail forfeitures, fees, and costs may accrue interest at the rate of twelve percent per annum, upon assignment to a collection agency. Interest may accrue only while the case is in collection status.
(6) Interest retained by the court on penalties, fines, bail forfeitures, fees, and costs shall be split twenty-five percent to the state treasurer for deposit in the state general fund, twenty-five percent to the state treasurer for deposit in the judicial information system account as provided in RCW 2.68.020
, twenty-five percent to the city general fund, and twenty-five percent to the city general fund to fund local courts.
Effective date—2009 c 479:
See note following RCW 2.56.030
Intent—2004 c 15:
See note following RCW 10.99.080
Effective date—1985 c 389:
See note following RCW 27.24.070
Court Improvement Act of 1984—Effective dates—Severability—Short title—1984 c 258:
See notes following RCW 3.30.010
Intent—1984 c 258:
See note following RCW 3.34.130