Requirements for approval.
*** CHANGE IN 2013 *** (SEE 5518-S.SL) ***
No voting device shall be approved by the secretary of state unless it:
(1) Secures to the voter secrecy in the act of voting;
(2) Permits the voter to vote for any person for any office and upon any measure that he or she has the right to vote for;
(3) Permits the voter to vote for all the candidates of one party;
(4) Correctly registers all votes cast for any and all persons and for or against any and all measures;
(5) Provides that a vote for more than one candidate cannot be cast by one single operation of the voting device or vote tally system except when voting for president and vice president of the United States; and
(6) Except for functions or capabilities unique to this state, has been tested and certified by an independent testing authority designated by the United States election assistance commission.
[2006 c 207 § 2; 2003 c 111 § 308. Prior: 1990 c 59 § 26; 1982 c 40 § 6; 1977 ex.s. c 361 § 66; 1971 ex.s. c 6 § 1; 1967 ex.s. c 109 § 18. Formerly RCW 29.33.300, 29.34.080.]
| Intent -- Effective date -- 1990 c 59: See notes following RCW 29A.04.013.|
Severability -- 1982 c 40: See note following RCW 29A.12.020.
Effective date -- Severability -- 1977 ex.s. c 361: See notes following RCW 29A.16.040.
Severability -- 1971 ex.s. c 6: "If any provision of this 1971 amendatory act, or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the act, or the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances is not affected." [1971 ex.s. c 6 § 3.]
Voting devices, machines -- Recording requirements: RCW 29A.12.150.