Each school district within which there is located a residential school shall, singly or in concert with another school district pursuant to RCW 28A.335.160 and 28A.225.250 or pursuant to chapter 39.34 RCW, conduct a program of education, including related student activities, for residents of the residential school. Except as otherwise provided for by contract pursuant to RCW 28A.190.050, the duties and authority of a school district and its employees to conduct such a program shall be limited to the following:
(1) The employment, supervision and control of administrators, teachers, specialized personnel and other persons, deemed necessary by the school district for the conduct of the program of education;
(2) The purchase, lease or rental and provision of textbooks, maps, audiovisual equipment, paper, writing instruments, physical education equipment and other instructional equipment, materials and supplies, deemed necessary by the school district for the conduct of the program of education;
(3) The development and implementation, in consultation with the superintendent or chief administrator of the residential school or his or her designee, of the curriculum;
(4) The conduct of a program of education, including related student activities, for residents who are three years of age and less than twenty-one years of age, and have not met high school graduation requirements as now or hereafter established by the state board of education and the school district which includes:
(a) Not less than one hundred and eighty school days each school year;
(b) Special education pursuant to RCW 28A.155.010 through 28A.155.100, and vocational education, as necessary to address the unique needs and limitations of residents; and
(c) Such courses of instruction and school related student activities as are provided by the school district for nonresidential school students to the extent it is practical and judged appropriate for the residents by the school district after consultation with the superintendent or chief administrator of the residential school: PROVIDED, That a preschool special education program may be provided for residential school students with disabilities;
(5) The control of students while participating in a program of education conducted pursuant to this section and the discipline, suspension or expulsion of students for violation of reasonable rules of conduct adopted by the school district; and
(6) The expenditure of funds for the direct and indirect costs of maintaining and operating the program of education that are appropriated by the legislature and allocated by the superintendent of public instruction for the exclusive purpose of maintaining and operating residential school programs of education, and funds from federal and private grants, bequests and gifts made for the purpose of maintaining and operating the program of education.
[1995 c 77 § 19; 1990 c 33 § 172; 1985 c 341 § 13; 1984 c 160 § 3; 1979 ex.s. c 217 § 2. Formerly RCW 28A.58.772.]
| Effective date -- 1985 c 341 §§ 4 and 13: See note following RCW 28A.155.020.|
Severability -- 1984 c 160: See note following RCW 28A.155.020.
Effective date -- Severability -- 1979 ex.s. c 217: See notes following RCW 28A.190.020.