As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires, the term:
(1) "An officer of the corporation" means, in connection with the execution of records submitted for filing with the secretary of state, the president, a vice president, the secretary, or the treasurer of the corporation.
(2) "Articles of incorporation" and "articles" mean the original articles of incorporation and all amendments thereto, and includes articles of merger and restated articles.
(3) "Board of directors" means the group of persons vested with the management of the affairs of the corporation irrespective of the name by which such group is designated in the articles or bylaws.
(4) "Bylaws" means the code or codes of rules adopted for the regulation or management of the affairs of the corporation irrespective of the name or names by which such rules are designated.
(5) "Conforms to law[,]" as used in connection with duties of the secretary of state in reviewing records for filing under this chapter, means the secretary of state has determined that the record complies as to form with the applicable requirements of this chapter and Article 2 of chapter 23.95
(6) "Corporation" or "domestic corporation" means a corporation not for profit subject to the provisions of this chapter, except a foreign corporation.
(7) "Deliver" means: (a) Mailing; (b) transmission by facsimile equipment, for purposes of delivering a demand, consent, notice, or waiver to the corporation or one of its officers, directors, or members; (c) electronic transmission, in accordance with the officer's, director's, or member's consent, for purposes of delivering a demand, consent, notice, or waiver to the corporation or one of its officers, directors, or members under RCW 24.03.009
; and (d) as prescribed by the secretary of state for purposes of submitting a record for filing with the secretary of state.
(8) "Effective date" means, in connection with a record filing made by the secretary of state, the date on which the filing becomes effective under RCW 23.95.210
(9) "Electronic transmission" means an electronic communication (a) not directly involving the physical transfer of a record in a tangible medium and (b) that may be retained, retrieved, and reviewed by the sender and the recipient thereof, and that may be directly reproduced in a tangible medium by a sender and recipient.
(10) "Electronically transmitted" means the initiation of an electronic transmission.
(11) "Execute," "executes," or "executed" means (a) signed, with respect to a written record or (b) electronically transmitted along with sufficient information to determine the sender's identity, with respect to an electronic transmission, or (c) filed in compliance with the standards for filing with the office of the secretary of state as prescribed by the secretary of state, with respect to a record to be filed with the secretary of state.
(12) "Executed by an officer of the corporation," or words of similar import, means that any record executed by such person shall be and is executed by that person under penalties of perjury and in an official and authorized capacity on behalf of the corporation or person making the record submission with the secretary of state and, for the purpose of records filed electronically with the secretary of state, in compliance with the rules adopted by the secretary of state for electronic filing.
(13) "Foreign corporation" means a corporation not for profit organized under laws other than the laws of this state.
(14) "Insolvent" means inability of a corporation to pay debts as they become due in the usual course of its affairs.
(15) "Member" means an individual or entity having membership rights in a corporation in accordance with the provisions of its articles of incorporation or bylaws.
(16) "Not for profit corporation" or "nonprofit corporation" means a corporation no part of the income of which is distributable to its members, directors or officers.
(17) "Public benefit not for profit corporation" or "public benefit nonprofit corporation" means a corporation no part of the income of which is distributable to its members, directors, or officers and that holds a current tax exempt status as provided under 26 U.S.C. Sec. 501(c)(3) or is specifically exempted from the requirement to apply for its tax exempt status under 26 U.S.C. Sec. 501(c)(3).
(18) "Record" means information inscribed on a tangible medium or contained in an electronic transmission.
(19) "Registered office" means the address of the corporation's registered agent.
(20) "Tangible medium" means a writing, copy of a writing, facsimile, or a physical reproduction, each on paper or on other tangible material.
(21) "Writing" does not include an electronic transmission.
(22) "Written" means embodied in a tangible medium.
The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015
Effective date—Contingent effective date—2015 c 176:
See note following RCW 23.95.100
Captions not law—2002 c 74:
See note following RCW 19.09.020
Finding—Severability—1989 c 291:
See notes following RCW 24.03.490
Intent—Severability—Effective dates—Application—1982 c 35:
See notes following RCW 43.07.160