Agreements among shareholders — Acquisition of shares after agreement.
(1) An agreement among the shareholders of a corporation that is not contrary to public policy and that complies with this section is effective among the shareholders and the corporation even though it is inconsistent with one or more other provisions of this title in that it:
(a) Eliminates the board of directors or restricts the discretion or powers of the board of directors;
(b) Governs the approval or making of distributions whether or not in proportion to ownership of shares, subject to the limitations in RCW 23B.06.400;
(c) Establishes who shall be directors or officers of the corporation, or their terms of office or manner of selection or removal;
(d) Governs, in general or in regard to specific matters, the exercise or division of voting power by or between the shareholders and directors or by or among any of them, including use of weighted voting rights or director proxies;
(e) Establishes the terms and conditions of any agreement for the transfer or use of property or the provision of services between the corporation and any shareholder, director, officer, or employee of the corporation or among any of them;
(f) Transfers to one or more shareholders or other persons all or part of the authority to exercise the corporate powers or to manage the business and affairs of the corporation;
(g) Provides a process by which a deadlock among directors or shareholders may be resolved;
(h) Requires dissolution of the corporation at the request of one or more shareholders or upon the occurrence of a specified event or contingency; or
(i) Otherwise governs the exercise of the corporate powers or the management of the business and affairs of the corporation or the relationship among the shareholders, the directors, and the corporation, or among any of them.
(2) An agreement authorized by this section shall be:
(a) Set forth in a written agreement that is signed by all persons who are shareholders at the time of the agreement and is made known to the corporation;
(b) Subject to amendment only by all persons who are shareholders at the time of the amendment, unless the agreement provides otherwise; and
(c) Valid for ten years, unless the agreement provides otherwise.
(3) The existence of an agreement authorized by this section shall be noted conspicuously on the front or back of each certificate for outstanding shares or on the information statement required by RCW 23B.06.260(2). If at the time of the agreement the corporation has shares outstanding represented by certificates, the corporation shall recall the outstanding certificates and issue substitute certificates that comply with this subsection. The failure to note the existence of the agreement on the certificate or information statement shall not affect the validity of the agreement or any action taken pursuant to it. Unless the agreement provides otherwise, any person who acquires outstanding or newly issued shares in the corporation after an agreement authorized by this section has been effected, whether by purchase, gift, operation of law, or otherwise, is deemed to have assented to the agreement and to be a party to the agreement. A purchaser of shares who is aggrieved because he or she at the time of purchase did not have actual or constructive knowledge of the existence of the agreement may either: (a) Bring an action to rescind the purchase within the earlier of ninety days after discovery of the existence of the agreement or two years after the purchase of the shares; or (b) continue to hold the shares subject to the agreement but with a right of action for any damages resulting from nondisclosure of the existence of the agreement. A purchaser shall be deemed to have constructive knowledge of the existence of the agreement if its existence is noted on the certificate or information statement for the shares in compliance with this subsection and, if the shares are not represented by a certificate, the information statement is delivered to the purchaser at or prior to the time of purchase of the shares.
(4) An agreement authorized by this section shall cease to be effective when shares of the corporation are listed on a national securities exchange or regularly traded in a market maintained by one or more members of a national or affiliated securities association.
(5) An agreement authorized by this section that limits the discretion or powers of the board of directors shall relieve the directors of, and impose upon the person or persons in whom such discretion or powers are vested, liability for acts or omissions imposed by law on directors to the extent that the discretion or powers of the directors are limited by the agreement.
(6) The existence or performance of an agreement authorized by this section shall not be a ground for imposing personal liability on any shareholder for the acts or debts of the corporation even if the agreement or its performance treats the corporation as if it were a partnership or results in failure to observe the corporate formalities otherwise applicable to the matters governed by the agreement.
(7) Incorporators or subscribers for shares may act as shareholders with respect to an agreement authorized by this section if no shares have been issued when the agreement is made.
[2009 c 189 § 22; 1995 c 47 § 6; 1993 c 290 § 4.]