Director — General powers and duties.
(1) The director, with the advice and approval of the commission, may issue rules to govern the activities of real estate brokers, managing brokers, designated brokers, and real estate firms, consistent with this chapter and chapters 18.86 and 18.235 RCW, fix the times and places for holding examinations of applicants for licenses, and prescribe the method of conducting them.
(2)(a) The director shall enforce all laws and rules relating to the licensing of real estate firms, brokers, managing brokers, and designated brokers, grant or deny licenses including temporary licenses to real estate firms, brokers, and managing brokers, and hold hearings.
(b) The director shall enforce all laws and rules relating to the issuance of certificates of approval to real estate schools, real estate school administrators and instructors, and approval of real estate education courses.
(3) The director shall establish by rule standards for licensure of applicants licensed in other jurisdictions and for reciprocity including the use of written recognition agreements.
(4) The director may issue rules requiring all applicants to submit to a criminal background check, and the applicant is responsible for the payment of any fees incurred.
(5) The director shall adopt rules and establish standards relating to permissible forms of clear and conspicuous advertising by licensees.
(6) The director shall institute a program of real estate education. The program may include courses at institutions of higher education in Washington, trade schools, private real estate schools, and preapproved forums and conferences. The program shall include establishing minimum levels of ongoing education for licensees relating to the practice of real estate under this chapter. The program may also include the development or implementation of curricula courses, educational materials, or approaches to education relating to real estate when required or approved for continuing education credit. The director may develop and provide educational programs and materials for members of the public. The director may enter into contracts with other persons or entities, whether publicly or privately owned or operated, to assist in developing or implementing the real estate education program.
(7) The director shall charge a fee for the certification of courses of instruction, instructors, and schools.
(8) The director may take disciplinary action against real estate schools and real estate school administrators and instructors based upon conduct, acts, or conditions prescribed by rule, and may impose any or all of the following sanctions and fines:
(a) Withdrawal of the certificate of approval;
(b) Suspension of the certificate of approval for a fixed or indefinite term;
(c) Stayed suspension for a designated period of time;
(d) Censure or reprimand;
(e) Payment of a fine for each violation not to exceed one thousand dollars per day per violation. Each day a violation continues or occurs is a separate violation for purposes of imposing a penalty;
(f) Denial of an initial or renewal application for a certificate of approval; and
(g) Other corrective action.
[2008 c 23 § 3; 2002 c 86 § 229; 1992 c 92 § 1; 1988 c 205 § 2; 1987 c 332 § 2; 1972 ex.s. c 139 § 3; 1953 c 235 § 2; 1951 c 222 § 3; 1941 c 252 § 4; Rem. Supp. 1941 § 8340-27. Prior: 1925 ex.s. c 129 § 2. Formerly RCW 18.85.040.]
| Effective dates -- 2002 c 86: See note following RCW 18.08.340.|
Part headings not law -- Severability -- 2002 c 86: See RCW 18.235.902 and 18.235.903.
Effective date -- 1992 c 92: "This act shall take effect July 1, 1993." [1992 c 92 § 5.]