As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings given them:
(1) "Court" includes the superior, district, and municipal courts of the state of Washington.
(2) "Dating relationship" means a social relationship of a romantic nature. Factors that the court may consider in making this determination include: (a) The length of time the relationship has existed; (b) the nature of the relationship; and (c) the frequency of interaction between the parties.
(3) "Domestic violence" means: (a) Physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or the infliction of fear of imminent physical harm, bodily injury or assault, between family or household members; (b) sexual assault of one family or household member by another; or (c) stalking as defined in RCW 9A.46.110
of one family or household member by another family or household member.
(4) "Electronic monitoring" has the same meaning as in RCW 9.94A.030
(5) "Essential personal effects" means those items necessary for a person's immediate health, welfare, and livelihood. "Essential personal effects" includes but is not limited to clothing, cribs, bedding, documents, medications, and personal hygiene items.
(6) "Family or household members" means spouses, domestic partners, former spouses, former domestic partners, persons who have a child in common regardless of whether they have been married or have lived together at any time, adult persons related by blood or marriage, adult persons who are presently residing together or who have resided together in the past, persons sixteen years of age or older who are presently residing together or who have resided together in the past and who have or have had a dating relationship, persons sixteen years of age or older with whom a person sixteen years of age or older has or has had a dating relationship, and persons who have a biological or legal parent-child relationship, including stepparents and stepchildren and grandparents and grandchildren.
(7) "Judicial day" does not include Saturdays, Sundays, or legal holidays.
[2015 c 287 § 8; 2008 c 6 § 406; 1999 c 184 § 13; 1995 c 246 § 1. Prior: 1992 c 111 § 7; 1992 c 86 § 3; 1991 c 301 § 8; 1984 c 263 § 2.]
The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015
Severability—1995 c 246: "If any provision of this act or its application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the remainder of the act or the application of the provision to other persons or circumstances is not affected." [1995 c 246 § 40.]
Findings—1992 c 111:
See note following RCW 26.50.030
Finding—1991 c 301:
See note following RCW 10.99.020
Domestic violence offenses defined: RCW 10.99.020