PREPROPOSAL STATEMENT OF INQUIRY
SOCIAL AND HEALTH SERVICES
(Medical Assistance Administration)
Subject of Possible Rule Making: Chapter 388-531 WAC, Physician-related services. Proposing a new subsection at WAC 388-531-0275 for Physician services in teaching settings (interns, residents, teaching physicians, and preceptorships).
Statutes Authorizing the Agency to Adopt Rules on this Subject: RCW 74.08.090, 74.09.520, 42 C.F.R. 413.86, and 42 C.F.R. 415.160.
Reasons Why Rules on this Subject may be Needed and What They Might Accomplish:
• To stay current with industry standards for graduate medical education and medical residency programs.
• To better serve our medical providers and MAA clients.
• To establish MAA standards for supervising interns and residents in nonhospital settings and to establish MAA payment standards for teaching physicians.
Other Federal and State Agencies that Regulate this Subject and the Process Coordinating the Rule with These Agencies:
• Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), MAA will be drafting Medicaid standards and articulating the differences to CMS Medicare rules.
• Washington State Department of Health (DOH), will be invited to review and comment on the draft language.
Process for Developing New Rule: The department invites the interested public to review and provide input on the draft language of this rule. Draft material and information about how to participate may be obtained from the department representative listed below.
Interested parties can participate in the decision to adopt the new rule and formulation of the proposed rule before publication by contacting Myra Davis, MAA Program Manager, P.O. Box 45533, Olympia, WA 98504-5533, phone (360) 725-1306, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, fax (360) 586-9727, TDD 1-800-848-5429.
March 28, 2003
Brian H. Lindgren, Manager
Rules and Policies Assistance Unit