(1) Whenever a railroad company performs any construction, maintenance or repairs at a grade crossing or grade separated crossing, the company must install and maintain traffic control devices adequate to protect the public and railroad employees as prescribed in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), Part 8, Traffic Control for Railroad and Light Rail Transit Grade Crossings, as published by the United States Department of Transportation. In addition, railroads must maintain all crossings with proper traffic control devices as prescribed in the MUTCD, Part 8. The commission adopts, by reference, the MUTCD, Part 8, as described in WAC 480-62-999
. Flaggers must also be provided where necessary to adequately protect the public and railroad employees.
(2) Any traffic control device must be used only as long as the device is needed or applicable. Any device that is no longer needed or applicable must be immediately removed or inactivated so as to prevent confusion.
(3) All barricades, signs, and similar devices must be constructed and installed in a workmanlike manner.
(4) Bushes, weeds, or any other material or object must not be allowed to obscure any traffic control devices.
(5) All signs, barricades, and other control devices intended for use during hours of darkness must be adequately illuminated or reflectorized, with precautions taken to protect motorists from glare.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 80.01.040, 80.04.160, 81.04.160, and 34.05.353. 11-04-041 (Docket A-101466, General Order R-562), § 480-62-230, filed 1/25/11, effective 2/25/11. Statutory Authority: RCW 80.01.040, 81.04.160, 81.24.010, 81.28.010, 81.28.290, 81.40.110, 81.44.010, 81.44.020, 81.44.101-81.44.105, and chapters 81.48, 81.53, 81.54, 81.60, and 81.61 RCW. 01-04-026 (Docket No. TR-981102, General Order No. R-477), § 480-62-230, filed 1/30/01, effective 3/2/01.]