For the purpose of these regulations the following definitions shall apply:
(1) An "admitted person" is one who has applied for and been offered an opportunity to enroll at the University of Washington for a given quarter.
(2) An "enrolled student" is one who is admissible to the university for a given quarter and has given a firm commitment, usually by means of an advance payment on tuition and fees, of his or her intention to attend the university. (The advance fee payment is not required summer quarter.)
(3) A "registered student" is one who has enrolled and has been assigned by the university registrar to one or more courses in a given quarter.
(4) A "new student" is either one who has not previously registered for residence credit courses at the university or one who will be in his or her first quarter in a status different from that in which he or she last attended.
(5) A "returning student" is one who has formerly attended the university and is returning after an absence of one or more quarters in the same classification.
(6) "Continuing student" is either one who was registered in the same status the preceding quarter or one who is registered autumn quarter in the same status he or she was registered the preceding spring quarter.
(7) "On-leave graduate student" is a graduate student in good standing who plans to be away from the university and who has applied for and been granted on-leave status.
(8) "Residence credit" is that academic credit associated with those courses which are offered by the university within the regular academic curriculum. Credit earned through the satisfactory completion of such courses is applicable toward a university degree or professional certificate to the extent it satisfies specific school or college degree requirements.
(9) "Matriculated student" is one who has been accepted into one of the university's schools or colleges to pursue a program of study which normally leads to a degree or professional certificate.
(10) "Nonmatriculated student" is one who will be permitted to register for courses on a space-available basis but whose educational objective does not include a University of Washington degree or professional certificate.
(11) "Summer only nonmatriculated" student is one who attends the university only during the summer quarter and who is not engaged in a degree or certificate program at the university. Such a student must apply for admission as a new student should he or she wish to attend any quarter other than summer quarter.
(12) The first 4-1/2 weeks of the summer quarter constitute "a" term. Some classes are offered during "a" term only.
(13) The second 4-1/2 weeks of the summer quarter constitute "b" term. Some classes are offered during "b" term only.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.20.130. 92-12-011, § 478-160-240, filed 5/22/92, effective 6/22/92; Order 74-1, § 478-160-240, filed 3/4/74; Order 72-8, § 478-160-240, filed 11/30/72.]