The university disciplinary committees.
Each University of Washington campus shall have its own university disciplinary committee. The university disciplinary committees shall consist of a nonvoting chair, at least three voting faculty members, and at least three voting student members. The committees shall be maintained for the purpose of providing hearings for disciplinary actions that have been initiated by the deans or, at the University of Washington Bothell and Tacoma campuses, the dean or director of the program in which a respondent is enrolled, the vice president for student life at the University of Washington Seattle campus, the chancellors of the University of Washington Bothell and Tacoma campuses, or their delegates.
(1) The president of the University of Washington Seattle campus and the chancellors of the University of Washington Bothell and Tacoma campuses shall designate a member of the faculty or administration to serve as chair of each respective university disciplinary committee for a term of one year. All chairs may be reappointed for consecutive terms.
(a) The chairs shall ensure that all procedural safeguards and guidelines are followed. Accordingly, the chairs shall decide all procedural questions that arise in relation to hearings, including rulings on evidence (as defined in WAC 478-120-095
(3)) and challenges to the impartiality of committee members. The chairs shall have the discretion to regulate all aspects of the proceedings.
(b) The chairs shall take whatever steps are necessary to ensure that hearings are conducted in a safe and orderly manner.
(2) The voting faculty members of each university disciplinary committee shall be selected by the faculty senate at the University of Washington Seattle, or at the University of Washington Bothell and Tacoma campuses, their respective faculty assembly or organization to serve one-year terms. Voting faculty members may be reappointed to consecutive terms.
Faculty members must have been members of the faculty for at least one year in order to be eligible to serve as voting members of the university disciplinary committees.
(3) The voting student members of the university disciplinary committees shall be selected from each student body to serve one-year terms. Student members of the committees may not be reappointed.
(a) For each university disciplinary committee, students shall be selected from a pool of students who express interest in serving on the committee and at the University of Washington Seattle at least one member must be a professional or graduate student and the other members must represent different undergraduate classes.
(b) To be eligible to serve on the university disciplinary committees, students must be full-time and in good standing with the university.
(4) In addition to the chairs, a quorum shall be two faculty members and two student members. The chairs shall select alternates from the panels of eligible faculty or students as needed to produce a quorum.
(5) Committee members may be disqualified from a particular hearing for bias, prejudice, conflict of interest, or any other reason which may prevent him or her from serving as an impartial judge of the matter before the committees.
(a) Committee members may excuse themselves for any of the causes set forth in this section by submitting a written statement to the appropriate committee chair stating facts and reasons for the disqualification.
(b) A student before any of the university disciplinary committees may challenge the impartiality of a committee member by written petition. The appropriate chair shall determine whether to grant the petition and excuse the committee member from the case, and shall state the facts and reasons for that determination in writing.
(c) Any person who has been delegated the authority to initiate disciplinary proceedings is disqualified from serving as a member of the university disciplinary committees.
(6) The appropriate chair may relieve a member of his or her university disciplinary committee from serving on that committee for a particular case, for a specific period of time, or for the rest of the year after the member submits a written request to the chair.
(7) Members of the university disciplinary committees shall begin their terms on the first day of classes of autumn quarter. Those terms shall expire on the first day of classes of the next autumn quarter, except that cases in process shall be continued until a decision is reached.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.20.130
and chapter 34.05
RCW. WSR 16-05-097, § 478-120-085, filed 2/17/16, effective 3/28/16. Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.20.130
and UWBR, Standing Orders, chapter 8. WSR 14-17-097, § 478-120-085, filed 8/19/14, effective 9/19/14. Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.20.130
and UWBR, Standing Orders, chapter 1, § 2. WSR 10-23-039, § 478-120-085, filed 11/10/10, effective 12/11/10. Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.20.130
. WSR 07-23-068, § 478-120-085, filed 11/19/07, effective 12/20/07; WSR 96-10-051, § 478-120-085, filed 4/29/96, effective 5/30/96.]