To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
What are the experience requirements in order to obtain a CPA license?
(1) Qualifying experience may be obtained through the practice of public accounting and/or employment in industry or government. In certain situations, employment in academia may also provide experience to obtain some or all of the competency requirements. Qualifying experience may be obtained through one or more employers, with or without compensation, and may consist of a combination of full-time and part-time employment.
(2) Employment experience should demonstrate that it occurred in a work environment and included tasks sufficient to have provided an opportunity to obtain the competencies defined by subsection (3) of this section and:
(a) Covered a minimum twelve-month period (this time period does not need to be consecutive);
(b) Consisted of a minimum of two thousand hours;
(c) Provided the opportunity to utilize the skills generally used in business and accounting and auditing including, but not limited to, accounting for transactions, budgeting, data analysis, internal auditing, preparation of reports to taxing authorities, controllership functions, financial analysis, performance auditing and similar skills;
(d) Be verified by a licensed CPA as meeting the requirements identified in subsection (5) of this section; and
(e) Be obtained no more than eight years prior to the date the board receives your complete license application.
(3) Competencies: The experience should demonstrate that the work environment and tasks performed provided the applicant an opportunity to obtain the following competencies:
(a) Assess the achievement of an entity's objectives;
(b) Develop documentation and sufficient data to support analysis and conclusions;
(c) Understand transaction streams and information systems;
(d) Assess risk and design appropriate procedures;
(e) Make decisions, solve problems, and think critically in the context of analysis; and
(f) Communicate scope of work, findings and conclusions effectively.
(4) The applicant's responsibilities: The applicant for a license requesting verification is responsible for:
(a) Providing information and evidence to support the applicant's assertion that their job experience could have reasonably provided the opportunity to obtain the specific competencies, included on the applicant's Experience Affidavit form presented for the verifying CPA's evaluation;
(b) Producing that documentation and the completed Experience Affidavit form to a qualified verifying CPA of their choice;
(c) Determining that the verifying CPA meets the requirements of subsection (5) of this section; and
(d) Maintaining this documentation for a minimum of three years.
(5) Qualification of a verifying CPA:
A verifying CPA must have held a valid CPA license to practice public accounting in the state of Washington or be qualified for practice privileges as defined in RCW 18.04.350
(2) for a minimum of five years prior to verifying the candidate's experience, including the date that the applicant's experience is verified. The five years do not need to be consecutive.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.04.055
(7), (14), and 18.04.215
(5). WSR 13-22-001, § 4-30-070, filed 10/23/13, effective 1/1/14. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.04.055
(1)(d). WSR 10-24-009, amended and recodified as § 4-30-070, filed 11/18/10, effective 12/19/10; WSR 05-01-137, § 4-25-730, filed 12/16/04, effective 1/31/05. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.04.055
(11) and 18.04.105
(1)(d). WSR 02-04-064, § 4-25-730, filed 1/31/02, effective 3/15/02. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.04.215
. WSR 01-03-011, § 4-25-730, filed 1/5/01, effective 6/30/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.04.055
(1)(a). WSR 99-18-113, § 4-25-730, filed 9/1/99, effective 1/1/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.04.055
. WSR 93-12-068, § 4-25-730, filed 5/27/93, effective 7/1/93.]