Appeals from decisions rendered pursuant to WAC 392-400-270
which impose either a long-term suspension or an expulsion upon a student shall be governed as follows:
(1) Any school district board of directors may delegate its authority to hear and decide long-term suspension and expulsion appeals to a school district disciplinary appeal council established by the board. School district disciplinary appeal councils shall be appointed by the school district board of directors for fixed terms and shall consist of not less than three persons.
(2) If the case was not heard and decided by the school district board of directors or school district disciplinary appeal council, the student and his or her parent(s) or guardian(s) shall have the right to appeal the decision to the board of directors or the disciplinary appeal council. Notice indicating that the student or his or her parent(s) or guardian(s) desire to appeal the decision shall be provided to either the office of the school district superintendent or to the office of the person who rendered the decision within three school business days after the date of receipt of the decision. The notice of appeal shall be accepted in writing or orally.
(3) If an appeal is not taken to the board of directors or disciplinary appeal council within the required three school business day period, the suspension or expulsion decided upon may be imposed as of the calendar day following expiration of the three school business day period.
(4) If a timely appeal is taken to the board of directors or disciplinary appeal council, the suspension or expulsion may be imposed during the appeal period subject to the following conditions and limitations:
(a) A long-term suspension or nonemergency expulsion may be imposed during the appeal period for no more than ten consecutive school days or until the appeal is decided, whichever is the shortest period;
(b) Any days that a student is temporarily suspended or expelled before the appeal is decided shall be applied to the term of the student's suspension or expulsion and shall not limit or extend the term of the student's suspension or expulsion; and
(c) Any student subjected to a temporary suspension who returns to school before the appeal is decided shall be provided the opportunity upon his or her return to make up assignments and tests missed by reason of the suspension if:
(i) Such assignments or tests have a substantial effect upon the student's semester or trimester grade or grades; or
(ii) Failure to complete such assignments or tests would preclude the student from receiving credit for the course or courses.
(5) An appeal from any decision of a school board or disciplinary appeal council to impose or to affirm the imposition of a long-term suspension or an expulsion shall be to the courts. Whether or not the decision of a school board or disciplinary appeal council shall be postponed pending an appeal to superior court shall be discretionary with the school board or disciplinary appeal council except as ordered otherwise by a court.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.600.015
. WSR 14-15-153, § 392-400-310, filed 7/23/14, effective 8/23/14. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.160
. WSR 07-04-048, § 392-400-310, filed 1/31/07, effective 3/3/07. Statutory Authority: 2006 c 263. WSR 06-14-009, recodified as § 392-400-310, filed 6/22/06, effective 6/22/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.160
. WSR 97-08-019, § 180-40-310, filed 3/25/97, effective 4/25/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.160
and 1996 c 321. WSR 96-15-098, § 180-40-310, filed 7/22/96, effective 8/22/96; Order 13-77, § 180-40-310, filed 10/18/77; Order 6-77, § 180-40-310, filed 6/2/77, effective 8/1/77.]