As used in this chapter the term: (1) "Discipline" shall mean all forms of corrective action or punishment other than suspension and expulsion and shall include the exclusion of a student from a class by a teacher or administrator for a period of time not exceeding the balance of the immediate class period: Provided, That the student is in the custody of a school district employee for the balance of such period. Discipline shall also mean the exclusion of a student from any other type of activity conducted by or in behalf of a school district.
(2) "Suspension" shall mean a denial of attendance (other than for the balance of the immediate class period for "discipline" purposes) at any single subject or class, or at any full schedule of subjects or classes for a stated period of time. A suspension also may include a denial of admission to or entry upon real and personal property that is owned, leased, rented, or controlled by the school district.
(3) "Short-term suspension" shall mean a suspension for any portion of a calendar day up to and not exceeding ten consecutive school days.
(4) "Long-term suspension" shall mean a suspension which exceeds a "short-term suspension" as defined in subsection (3) of this section.
(5) "Expulsion" shall mean a denial of attendance at any single subject or class or at any full schedule of subjects or classes for an indefinite period of time. An expulsion also may include a denial of admission to or entry upon real and personal property that is owned, leased, rented, or controlled by the school district.
(6) "School business day" shall mean any calendar day, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, and any federal and school holidays, upon which the office of the superintendent of the school district is open to the public for the conduct of business. A school business day shall be concluded or terminated upon the closure of said office for the calendar day.
[Statutory Authority: 2006 c 263. 06-14-009, recodified as § 392-400-205, filed 6/22/06, effective 6/22/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 28A.305.160 and 1996 c 321. 96-15-098, § 180-40-205, filed 7/22/96, effective 8/22/96. Statutory Authority: 1979 1st ex.s. c 173 and c 201. 79-11-049 (Order 14-79), § 180-40-205, filed 10/16/79; Order 6-77, § 180-40-205, filed 6/2/77, effective 8/1/77.]