Unmarried pregnant or parenting minors—Required living arrangement.
(1) This rule affects only the minor's eligibility for cash assistance. It does not affect the eligibility of the minor parent's child for a cash grant.
(2) The following definitions apply to terms used in this section:
(a) "Unmarried" means a person who has never been married or whose marriage has been annulled. It does not include a person who has been divorced or widowed.
(b) "Minor" means a person younger than eighteen years of age.
(c) "Legal guardian" means a court-appointed legal guardian or court-appointed permanent custodian.
(d) "Relative" is a person who is related to the pregnant or parenting minor as defined under RCW 74.15.020
(3) An unmarried pregnant or parenting minor is not eligible for TANF, SFA or PWA unless the person:
(a) Has been emancipated by a court; or
(b) Lives in a home approved by the department and has a protective payee.
(4) The home of a minor's parent, legal guardian, or adult relative may be approved unless:
(a) The minor has no living parent, legal guardian, or adult relative that can be located or those persons do not want the minor to live with them;
(b) The minor or the minor's child is being or has been seriously harmed either physically, emotionally or sexually in the home of the parent, legal guardian, or adult relative;
(c) Substantial evidence exists of an act or failure to act by the parent, legal guardian, or adult relative that presents imminent or serious harm to the minor or the minor's child if they lived there; or
(d) The department determines that it is in the best interest of the minor or the minor's child to waive the requirement of living in the home of a parent, legal guardian, or adult relative.
(5) If the home of a minor's parent, legal guardian, or adult relative is not available or suitable, one of the following alternatives may be approved:
(a) A facility or home licensed under chapter 74.15
RCW that provides a supportive and supervised living arrangement requiring residents to learn parenting skills;
(b) A maternity home;
(c) Other adult-supervised living arrangement; or
(d) The minor's current or proposed living arrangement, if the department determines it is appropriate.
(6) A home that includes the other natural parent of the minor's child or unborn child is never approved if:
(a) The minor is under age sixteen; and
(b) The other parent is eighteen or older and meets the age criteria for rape of a child as set forth in RCW 9A.44.073
, 9A.44.076, and 9A.44.079.
(7) The income of a minor parent found ineligible under this section is treated according to WAC 388-450-0100
when determining the eligibility and benefit level of the minor parent's child.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.005
, 74.04.050, 74.04.055, 74.04.057, 74.04.510, 74.08.090, 74.08A.100, 74.04.770, 74.04.0052, 74.04.655, 74.08.043, 74.08.335, and 2011 1st sp.s. c 36. WSR 12-10-042, § 388-486-0005, filed 4/27/12, effective 6/1/12. Statutory Authority: RCW 74.04.050
, 74.04.055, 74.04.057 and 74.08.090. WSR 98-16-044, § 388-486-0005, filed 7/31/98, effective 9/1/98.]