To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
What happens to unfounded CPS findings?
(1) Beginning October 1, 2008 the department will no longer make inconclusive findings, but shall retain and destroy such findings made prior to that date as provided in these rules.
(2) An unfounded, screened out or inconclusive allegation of child abuse or neglect may not be disclosed to a child placing agency, private adoption agency, or any other provider licensed under chapter 74.15
(3) At the end of three years from the receipt of a screened-out report that alleged child abuse or neglect, the department must destroy its records relating to that report.
(4) At the end of six years from the date of the completion of an investigation of a report of child abuse or neglect, the department must destroy records relating to unfounded or inconclusive reports, unless a prior or subsequent founded report has been received regarding the child who is the subject of the report, a sibling or half-sibling of the child, or a parent, guardian, or legal custodian of the child, before records are destroyed.
(5) The department shall retain records relating to founded reports of child abuse and neglect as required by DSHS records retention policies. If dependency is established under chapter 13.34
RCW as to a child who is subject of a report of child abuse or neglect, all records relating to the child or the child's parent, guardian, or legal custodian, including any screened-out, unfounded or inconclusive reports not destroyed prior to the establishment of dependency or received after dependency was established, shall be retained as required by DSHS records retention policies regarding dependency records.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 74.13.031
, and chapter 26.44
RCW. WSR 08-18-040, § 388-15-077, filed 8/28/08, effective 10/1/08; WSR 02-15-098 and 02-17-045, § 388-15-077, filed 7/16/02 and 8/14/02, effective 2/10/03.]