308-56A-450  <<  308-56A-455 >>   308-56A-460

WAC 308-56A-455

Agency filings affecting this section

Assembled and homemade vehicles.

(1) What constitutes an assembled vehicle? An assembled vehicle is a vehicle that:
(a) Has had the complete body or frame replaced with the body or frame from another commercially manufactured vehicle; or
(b) Had the body or frame cut in two and replaced with a major portion of the body or frame from another vehicle; or
(c) Has had a major modification so that the VIN no longer properly describes the vehicle; or
(d) Is a motorcycle on which the frame and engine are of different make or model years. An assembled vehicle is made from parts produced by recognized manufacturers for commercially produced vehicles, and can be recognized as one produced by a particular manufacturer. Assembled vehicles do not include glider kits, custom built, replica, kit vehicles, or trucks installed with a different bed.
(2) How is the model year determined for an assembled vehicle? The Washington state patrol will determine the model year of an assembled vehicle upon inspection of the vehicle.
(3) What constitutes a homemade vehicle? A homemade vehicle is one that cannot visually be identified as produced by a particular manufacturer and is made primarily from fabricated parts. The make will be identified as homemade.
(4) How is the model year determined for a homemade vehicle? The Washington state patrol will determine the model year of a homemade vehicle upon inspection of the vehicle.
(5) What documents must I submit with my application for a certificate of ownership for an assembled or homemade vehicle? You must submit the following documents with your application for certificate of ownership:
(a) The certificate of ownership or bills of sale for each vehicle or major component part used in the assembly or construction of the vehicle. The bills of sale must be notarized unless the seller is a licensed business. The bill(s) of sale must include:
(i) The names and addresses of the seller and purchaser;
(ii) A description of the part being sold, including the make, model and identification or serial number;
(iii) The date of sale;
(iv) The purchase price of the part; and
(v) The stock number if from a Washington licensed wrecker;
(b) A Washington state patrol inspection or inspection from other personnel authorized by the director verifying the vehicle identification number, make, model, and year; and
(c) A completed declaration of value form.
You may be required to apply for ownership in doubt as described in WAC 308-56A-210 if you do not have all the required documentation.
(6) What is required if I must remove, destroy or conceal a vehicle identification number plate on a vehicle or major component part to be used on my assembled or homemade vehicle? The vehicle or major component part containing the VIN plate must be presented to the Washington state patrol with the VIN plate intact. The WSP will remove the VIN plate and mark the vehicle or major component part so it can be identified when the assembled or homemade vehicle is ready for inspection.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.01.110. WSR 04-08-080, § 308-56A-455, filed 4/6/04, effective 5/7/04; WSR 03-10-097, § 308-56A-455, filed 5/7/03, effective 6/7/03; WSR 00-04-046, § 308-56A-455, filed 1/27/00, effective 2/27/00; WSR 92-15-024, § 308-56A-455, filed 7/6/92, effective 8/6/92; Order MV 208, § 308-56A-455, filed 7/31/74.]