Provide crime prevention training to your employees.
These training requirements apply only to employees working any time during the hours of 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. This training must be conducted prior to the employee working this time period.
(1) You must provide crime prevention training as part of your accident prevention program. Make sure you have instructed your employees on the purpose and function of robbery and violence prevention to provide them with the knowledge and skills required to maintain their personal safety.
(2) You must provide training and training materials that outline your company's:
(a) Security policies;
(b) Safety and security procedures;
(c) Personal safety and crime prevention techniques.
(3) You must provide formal instruction about crime prevention through a training seminar or training video presentation that includes these topics:
(a) How keeping the store clean, neat, and uncluttered discourages potential robbers;
(b) Why the cash register should be kept in plain view from outside the store, if your store layout allows;
(c) Reasons for operating your business with only a minimum number of cash registers at night;
(d) Reasons for keeping cash register funds to a minimum;
(e) How to take extra precautions after dark such as ways to keep alert, making sure appropriate lights are on, inspecting dark corners, and identifying possible hiding places for robbers;
(f) Violence prevention procedures in case of a robbery.
(4) You must have employees sign a statement indicating the date, time, and place they received their crime prevention training.
(5) You must keep a record of this information readily available for review when requested by the department of labor and industries.
Employers may keep electronic records of employee training and verification.
(6) You must have a videotape or other materials about crime prevention available to all employees at their request.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.010
, 49.17.040, 49.17.050, 49.17.060, and chapter 49.17
RCW. WSR 14-09-095, § 296-832-20005, filed 4/22/14, effective 7/1/14. Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.010
, [49.17].040, [49.17].050, and [49.17].060. WSR 02-16-087, § 296-832-20005, filed 8/7/02, effective 10/1/02.]