• Enclose or guard all portions of the blade except for the working portion of the blade between the guide rolls and the table.
• Make sure the guard for the portion of the blade between the sliding guide and the wheel guard meets these requirements:
– Protects the front and outer side of the blade.
– Is self-adjusting to move with the guide.
– Adjusts so the gap between the guide rolls and stock is as small as is practical.
• Fully enclose band saw wheels with wheel guards that meet both
of the following requirements:
– The outside periphery of the wheel enclosure is solid; AND
– The front and back of the wheels are enclosed by solid material, wire mesh, or perforated metal.
• Make sure the material used for wheel guards meets these requirements:
– Wire mesh and perforated metal guards:
▪ Are at least 0.037 inch (U.S. Gage No. 20) thick.
▪ Have openings in them that are three-eighths inch or less.
– Solid material has strength and firmness equivalent to a wire mesh or perforated steel guard.
• Make sure band saws have a tension control device to indicate the proper tension for standard saws used on the machine.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.010, 49.17.040, 49.17.050, and 49.17.060. 04-14-028, § 296-806-48042, filed 6/29/04, effective 1/1/05.]