(1) General. The employer shall establish a regulated area in work areas where airborne concentrations of asbestos exceed or can reasonably be expected to exceed the permissible exposure limits prescribed in WAC 296-62-07705
. All Class I, II and III asbestos work shall be conducted within regulated areas. All other operations covered by this standard shall be conducted within the regulated area where airborne concentrations of asbestos exceed or can reasonably be expected to exceed permissible exposure limits. Regulated areas shall comply with the requirements of subsections (2), (3), (4), (5), (6), (7), and (8) of this section.
(2) Demarcation. The regulated area shall be demarcated in any manner that minimizes the number of persons within the area and protects persons outside the area from exposure to airborne asbestos. Where critical barriers or negative pressure enclosures are used, they may demarcate the regulated area. Signs shall be provided and displayed pursuant to the requirements of WAC 296-62-07721
(3) Access. Access to regulated areas shall be limited to authorized persons or to persons authorized by the Washington Industrial Safety and Health Act or regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(4) Provision of respirators. Each person entering a regulated area where employees are required in WAC 296-62-07715
(1) to wear respirators shall be supplied with and required to use a respirator, selected in accordance with WAC 296-62-07715
(5) Protective clothing. All persons entering a regulated area shall be supplied with and required to wear protective clothing, selected in accordance with WAC 296-62-07717
(6) Prohibited activities. The employer shall ensure that employees do not eat, drink, smoke, chew tobacco or gum, or apply cosmetics in the regulated areas.
(7) Permit-required confined space. The employer shall determine if a permit-required confined space hazard exists and shall take any necessary precautions in accordance with chapter 296-62
WAC Part M.
(8) Competent persons. For construction and shipyard work the employer shall ensure that all asbestos work performed within regulated areas is supervised by a competent person, as defined in WAC 296-62-07703
. The duties of the competent person are set out in WAC 296-62-07728
[Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.040, [49.17.]050 and [49.17.]060. 97-19-014, § 296-62-07711, filed 9/5/97, effective 11/5/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.040, [49.17.]050 and [49.17.]060. 97-01-079, § 296-62-07711, filed 12/17/96, effective 3/1/97. Statutory Authority: Chapter 49.17 RCW. 95-04-007, § 296-62-07711, filed 1/18/95, effective 3/1/95; 93-19-142 (Order 93-04), § 296-62-07711, filed 9/22/93, effective 11/1/93; 89-11-035 (Order 89-03), § 296-62-07711, filed 5/15/89, effective 6/30/89; 87-24-051 (Order 87-24), § 296-62-07711, filed 11/30/87. Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.050(2) and 49.17.040. 87-10-008 (Order 87-06), § 296-62-07711, filed 4/27/87.]