(1) Firefighters who engage in or are exposed to the hazards of structural firefighting shall be provided with and use helmets that meet the requirements of NFPA 1972, Standard on Helmets for Structural Firefighting, 1987 edition.
(2) Helmets purchased thirty days after the adoption of this chapter shall meet the requirements of the 1992 edition of NFPA, Standard on Helmets for Structural Firefighting 1972 or the 1997 edition of NFPA, Standard on Protective Ensemble for Structural Firefighting 1971.
(3) Fire departments shall establish a written policy and procedure for the care, use, maintenance, and retirement criteria for helmets.
(4) Helmets shall be provided with face shields or goggles.
(5) Helmet accessories shall not interfere with the function of the helmet or its components parts and shall not degrade the helmets performance.
(6) Helmets shall be maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. No modifications shall be made without prior written approval from the manufacturer.
(7) Firefighters shall follow the manufacturer's recommendations regarding cleaning, painting, marking, storage, and frequency and details of inspection.
|Note: ||Helmets should be stored at room temperature and out of direct sunlight. |
[Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.040. 99-05-080, § 296-305-02015, filed 2/17/99, effective 6/1/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.010, [49.17].050 and [49.17].060. 96-11-067, § 296-305-02015, filed 5/10/96, effective 1/1/97.]