To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
Gases, vapors, fumes, dusts, and mists.
(1) Exposure of employees to inhalation, ingestion, skin absorption, or contact with any material or substance at a concentration above those specified in chapter 296-841
WAC shall be avoided.
(2) To achieve compliance with subsection (1) of this section, administrative or engineering controls must first be implemented whenever feasible. When such controls are not feasible to achieve full compliance, protective equipment or other protective measures shall be used to keep the exposure of employees to air contaminants within the limits prescribed in WAC 296-62-07515
]. Any equipment and technical measures used for this purpose must first be approved for each particular use by a competent industrial hygienist or other technically qualified person. Whenever respirators are used, their use shall comply with WAC 296-155-220
(3) Whenever internal combustion equipment exhausts in enclosed spaces, tests shall be made and recorded to ensure that employees are not exposed to unsafe concentrations of toxic gases or oxygen deficient atmospheres. See chapter 296-62
WAC, the general occupational health standards and chapter 296-841
WAC, identifying and controlling respiratory hazards.
(4) Whenever any employee is exposed to asbestos, the provisions of the general occupational health standards, chapter 296-62
WAC shall apply.
(5) Subsections (1) and (2) of this section do not apply to the exposure of employees to formaldehyde. Whenever any employee is exposed to formaldehyde, the requirements of chapter 296-856
WAC shall apply.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.010
. WSR 07-03-163, § 296-155-160, filed 1/24/07, effective 4/1/07; WSR 06-08-087, § 296-155-160, filed 4/4/06, effective 9/1/06; WSR 05-03-093, § 296-155-160, filed 1/18/05, effective 3/1/05. Statutory Authority: Chapter 49.17
RCW. WSR 94-15-096 (Order 94-07), § 296-155-160, filed 7/20/94, effective 9/20/94; WSR 88-14-108 (Order 88-11), § 296-155-160, filed 7/6/88; WSR 87-24-051 (Order 87-24), § 296-155-160, filed 11/30/87. Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.050
(2) and 49.17.040
. WSR 87-10-008 (Order 87-06), § 296-155-160, filed 4/27/87. Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.040
. WSR 86-03-074 (Order 86-14), § 296-155-160, filed 1/21/86. Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.040
. WSR 83-24-013 (Order 83-34), § 296-155-160, filed 11/30/83; Order 74-26, § 296-155-160, filed 5/7/74, effective 6/6/74.]