What will the supervisor consider when approving or denying a residence modification request?
The supervisor will consider requests for residence modifications on a case-by-case basis. The supervisor may approve all or part of the requested modifications, based on what is reasonable and necessary for the individual worker.
In order to determine what is reasonable and necessary, the supervisor will review the completed application and will consider at least the following:
(1) Whether the worker is eligible to receive a residence modification benefit; and
(2) The needs and preferences of the individual worker, based on information provided by the injured worker; and
(3) Whether the proposed residence is appropriate for modification; and
(4) Whether the proposed modifications are appropriate for the style, nature and condition of the residence; and
(5) The attending health care provider's opinions of the medical condition, physical needs of the worker and whether the worker can reside in the residence after the modifications are complete; and
(6) The residence modification consultant's evaluation of whether the proposed modification is necessary to meet the worker's current need for safety, mobility and activities of daily living; and
(7) Whether the contractor's proposed plan will satisfy the necessary modification; and
(8) Whether the proposed plans submitted by the contractors are consistent with state guidelines for specially adapted residential housing, if any; and
(9) The contractor's proposed modification plan is consistent with the guidelines established by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs in their publication entitled "Handbook for Design: Specially Adapted Housing," or the recommendations published in "The Accessible Housing Design File" by Barrier Free Environments, Inc.; and
(10) Whether the proposed modifications are being provided at the least cost while maintaining quality.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 51.04.010
, and 2005 c 411. WSR 06-06-065, § 296-14-6230, filed 2/28/06, effective 4/1/06.]