For the purpose of the Washington state public works law, chapter 39.12
RCW, fence erectors and fence laborers erect and repair metal and wooden fences and fence gates around industrial establishments (schools, playgrounds, etc.), residences, farms and along highways using power tools and hand tools.
The work of the fence erectors includes, but is not limited to:
(1) Fence erector.
• Lays out fence line, using tape measure, and marks for postholes.
• Digs postholes with mechanical posthole digger or power-driven auger.
• Aligns posts, using line or by sighting along edges of posts.
• Verifies vertical alignment of posts with plumb bob or spirit level.
• Attaches fence-rail support to post, using hammer and pliers.
• Cuts metal tubing, using pipe cutter, and inserts tubing through rail support.
• Completes top fence rail of metal fence by connecting tube sections, using metal sleeves.
• Attaches rails or tension wire along bottoms of posts to form fencing frame.
• May weld metal parts together, using portable gas welding equipment.
• Stretches wire, wire mesh, barbed wire, or chain link fencing between posts and attaches fencing to frame.
• Assembles gate and fastens in position, using hand tools.
• Saws required length of lumber to make rails for wooden fence.
• Nails top and bottom rails to fence posts, or inserts them in slots on posts.
• Nails pointed slats to rails to construct picket fence.
• Erects alternate panel, basket weave, and louvered fences.
(2) Fence laborer. In addition to assisting the fence erector in the performance of the tasks described above, the work of the fence laborer includes, but is not limited to:
• Digs holes for posts with spade or posthole digger.
• Blasts rock formations with dynamite to facilitate digging of holes.
• Sets metal or wooden posts in upright position in holes.
• Mixes concrete by hand or by use of a cement mixer.
• Pours concrete around base of posts or tamps soil into holes to embed posts.
• All the cleanup required in connection with the erection of fences.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 39.12
RCW, RCW 43.22.270
and 43.22.051. WSR 00-15-077, § 296-127-01328, filed 7/19/00, effective 7/19/00.]