To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
For purposes of this chapter:
(1) "Applicant" means:
(a) In the case of an individual medicare supplement insurance policy, the person who seeks to contract for insurance benefits; and
(b) In the case of a group medicare supplement insurance policy, the proposed certificate holder.
(2) "Certificate" means any certificate delivered or issued for delivery in this state under a group medicare supplement insurance policy regardless of the situs of the group master policy.
(3) "Certificate form" means the form on which the certificate is delivered or issued for delivery by the issuer.
(4) "Issuer" includes insurance companies, fraternal benefit societies, health care service contractors, health maintenance organizations, and any other entity delivering or issuing for delivery medicare supplement policies or certificates.
(5) "Direct response issuer" means an issuer who, as to a particular transaction, is transacting insurance directly with a potential insured without solicitation by, or the intervention of, a licensed insurance producer.
(6) "Disability insurance" is insurance against bodily injury, disablement or death by accident, against disablement resulting from sickness, and every insurance relating to disability insurance. For purposes of this chapter, disability insurance includes policies or contracts offered by any issuer.
(7) "Health care expense costs," for purposes of WAC 284-66-200
(4), means expenses of a health maintenance organization or health care service contractor associated with the delivery of health care services that are analogous to incurred losses of insurers.
(8) "Policy" includes agreements or contracts issued by any issuer.
(9) "Policy form" means the form on which the policy is delivered or issued for delivery by the issuer.
(10) "Premium" means all sums charged, received, or deposited as consideration for a medicare supplement insurance policy or the continuance thereof. An assessment or a membership, contract, survey, inspection, service, or other similar fee or charge made by the issuer in consideration for the policy is deemed part of the premium. "Earned premium" means the "premium" applicable to an accounting period whether received before, during or after that period.
(11) "Prestandardized medicare supplement benefit plan," "prestandardized benefit plan" or "prestandardized plan" means a group or individual policy of medicare supplement insurance issued prior to January 1, 1990.
(12) "Replacement" means any transaction where new medicare supplement coverage is to be purchased, and it is known or should be known to the proposing insurance producer or other representative of the issuer, or to the proposing issuer if there is no insurance producer, that by reason of the transaction, existing medicare supplement coverage has been or is to be lapsed, surrendered or otherwise terminated.
(13) "Secretary" means the Secretary of the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
(14) "1990 standardized medicare supplement benefit plan" means a group or individual policy of medicare supplement insurance issued on or after January 1, 1990, and prior to June 1, 2010, and includes medicare supplement insurance policies and certificates renewed on or after that date which are not replaced by the issuer at the request of the insured.
(15) "2010 standardized medicare supplement benefit plan" or "2010 plan" means a group or individual policy of medicare supplement insurance with an effective date for coverage on or after June 1, 2010.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060
(3)(a) and 48.17.010
(5). WSR 11-01-159 (Matter No. R 2010-09), § 284-66-030, filed 12/22/10, effective 1/22/11. Statutory Authority: RCW 48.66.030
, and 48.66.165
. WSR 09-24-052 (Matter No. R 2009-08), § 284-66-030, filed 11/24/09, effective 1/19/10. Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060
. WSR 05-17-019 (Matter No. R 2004-08), § 284-66-030, filed 8/4/05, effective 9/4/05. Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060
. WSR 92-06-021 (Order R 92-1), § 284-66-030, filed 2/25/92, effective 3/27/92. Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060
. WSR 90-07-059 (Order R 90-4), § 284-66-030, filed 3/20/90, effective 4/20/90.]