To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
PKU formula coverage requirements.
(1) The purpose of this section is to effectuate the provisions of section 4, chapter 173, Laws of 1988, by establishing the requirements with respect to coverage for the formulas necessary for the treatment of phenylketonuria (PKU), applicable to health maintenance organizations.
(2) Any agreement for health care services delivered or issued for delivery or renewed in this state on or after September 1, 1988, shall provide coverage for the formulas necessary for the treatment of phenylketonuria, subject to the following exceptions:
(a) A contract that is subject to chapter 48.66
RCW and provides medicare supplemental insurance need not provide the PKU formula coverage;
(b) A contract that is subject to chapter 48.84
RCW and provides long-term care insurance need not provide the PKU formula coverage;
(c) A contract that is governed by 5 U.S.C. chapter 89 or 42 U.S.C. section 1395mm need not provide the PKU formula coverage; and
(d) In response to the written request of a health maintenance organization, other contracts may exclude coverage for the PKU formula with the written consent of the commissioner upon a finding that such coverage would be inappropriate.
(3) The amount charged by a health maintenance organization shall be no greater to a family or individual receiving benefits under the PKU formula coverage, by reason thereof, than to a family or individual under the same agreement form or group agreement who is not receiving such benefits.
(4) Preexisting condition provisions shall not be used with respect to PKU formula coverage, and no health maintenance organization shall cancel or decline to renew any contract, or restrict, modify, exclude, or reduce the amount of benefits payable or type of coverage provided in any contract, because an applicant or covered person has phenylketonuria.
(5) For purposes of section 4, chapter 173, Laws of 1988, and this section, an agreement is "renewed" when it is continued beyond the earliest date after September 1, 1988, upon which, at the health maintenance organization's sole option:
(a) The agreement's termination could have been effectuated, for other than nonpayment of premium; or
(b) The agreement could have been amended to add the PKU formula coverage, with, if justified, an appropriate rate increase for any increased cost in providing the PKU formula coverage under the contract.
The failure of the organization to take any such steps does not prevent the agreement from being "renewed." The intent of this subsection is to bring the PKU formula coverage under the maximum number of agreements possible at the earliest possible time, by permitting the health maintenance organization to exclude such coverage from only those agreements as to which there exists a right of renewal on the part of an enrollee without any change in any provision of the agreement.
(6) Coverage for the formulas may be made subject to deductibles, copayments, coinsurance or other reductions only to the extent that such deductibles, copayments, coinsurance or other reductions do not exceed those applicable to common sicknesses or disorders in the particular contract.