To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
Procedures for review and appeal of adverse determinations.
(1) An enrollee or the enrollee's representative, including the treating provider (regardless of whether the provider is affiliated with the carrier) acting on behalf of the enrollee may appeal an adverse determination in writing. The carrier must reconsider the adverse determination and notify the enrollee of its decision within fourteen days of receipt of the appeal unless the carrier notifies the enrollee that an extension is necessary to complete the appeal; however, the extension cannot delay the decision beyond thirty days of the request for appeal, without the informed, written consent of the enrollee.
(2) Whenever a health carrier makes an adverse determination and delay would jeopardize the enrollee's life or materially jeopardize the enrollee's health, the carrier shall expedite and process either a written or an oral appeal and issue a decision no later than seventy-two hours after receipt of the appeal. If the treating health care provider determines that delay could jeopardize the enrollee's health or ability to regain maximum function, the carrier shall presume the need for expeditious review, including the need for an expeditious determination in any independent review under WAC 284-43-630
(3) A carrier may not take or threaten to take any punitive action against a provider acting on behalf or in support of an enrollee appealing an adverse determination.
(4) Appeals of adverse determinations shall be evaluated by health care providers who were not involved in the initial decision and who have appropriate expertise in the field of medicine that encompasses the enrollee's condition or disease.
(5) All appeals must include a review of all relevant information submitted by the enrollee or a provider acting on behalf of the enrollee.
(6) The carrier shall issue to affected parties and to any provider acting on behalf of the enrollee a written notification of the adverse determination that includes the actual reasons for the determination, the instructions for obtaining an appeal of the carrier's decision, a written statement of the clinical rationale for the decision, and instructions for obtaining the clinical review criteria used to make the determination.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060
, and The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, P.L. 111-148, as amended (2010). WSR 12-23-005 (Matter No. R 2011-11), § 284-43-620, filed 11/7/12, effective 11/20/12. Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060
. WSR 01-03-033 (Matter No. R 2000-02), § 284-43-620, filed 1/9/01, effective 7/1/01. Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060
. WSR 99-24-075 (Matter No. R 98-17), § 284-43-620, filed 11/29/99, effective 12/30/99.]