(1) RCW 48.29.210
(2) states: "A title insurer, title insurance agent, or employee, agent, or other representative of a title insurer or title insurance agent shall not, directly or indirectly, give anything of value to any person in a position to refer or influence the referral of title insurance business to either the title insurance company or title insurance agent, or both, except as permitted under rules adopted by the commissioner." WAC 284-29-200
establishes standards for acceptable giving of things of value by a title company to any person in a position to refer or influence the referral of title insurance business to the title company. If the thing of value is not clearly and specifically included in WAC 284-29-200
as a thing of value that a title company may give to a person, its giving is prohibited.
(2) RCW 48.29.210
not only applies to title insurance producers or associates of producers, but to every person in position, directly or indirectly, to refer or influence the referral of title insurance business.
(3) No title company is required to give to any person any of the things of value that are permitted by WAC 284-29-200
and a person is not entitled to receive any of the permitted things of value from a title company.
(4) Adoption of WAC 284-29-200
must not be construed to mean that the commissioner encourages title companies to give anything of value to any person in a position to refer or influence the referral of title insurance business.
(5) Nothing contained in WAC 284-29-200
prohibits the payment by a title insurer or title insurance agent to a producer of a return on ownership interest in the title insurer or title insurance agent as set forth in RCW 48.29.213
(6) Title companies must not enter into any agreement, arrangement, scheme, or understanding or in any other manner pursue any course of conduct, designed to avoid RCW 48.29.210
and WAC 284-29-200
[Statutory Authority: RCW 48.02.060, 48.29.005 and 48.29.210. 09-05-077 (Matter No. R 2008-21), § 284-29-200, filed 2/17/09, effective 3/20/09.]