The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
(1) "Adapting environments for individuals with disabilities" includes assessing needs, identifying strategies, implementing and training in the use of strategies, and evaluating outcomes. Occupational therapy focuses on the interaction of an individual's skills and abilities, the features of the environment, and the demands and purposes of activities.
(2) "Board" means the board of occupational therapy practice.
(3) "Clients" include patients, students, and those to whom occupational therapy services are delivered.
(4) "Client-related tasks" are routine tasks during which the aide may interact with the client but does not act as a primary service provider of occupational therapy services. The following factors must be present when an occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant delegates a selected client-related task to the aide:
(a) The outcome anticipated for the delegated task is predictable;
(b) The situation of the client and the environment is stable and will not require that judgment, interpretations, or adaptations be made by the aide;
(c) The client has demonstrated some previous performance ability in executing the task; and
(d) The task routine and process have been clearly established.
(5) "Commonly accepted standards for the profession" in RCW 18.59.040
(5)(b) and 18.59.070 shall mean having passed the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy or its successor/predecessor organization, not having engaged in unprofessional conduct or gross incompetency as established by the board in WAC 246-847-160
for conduct occurring prior to June 11, 1986, and as established in RCW 18.130.180
for conduct occurring on or after June 11, 1986.
(6) "Consultation" means that practitioners are expected to function as consultants within the scope of practice appropriate to their level of competence.
(7) "Developing prevocational skills and play and avocational capabilities" also involves the scientifically based use of purposeful activity.
(8) "Direct supervision" as described in RCW 18.59.040
(7) means daily, in-person contact at the site where services are provided by an occupational therapist licensed in the state of Washington.
(9) "Evaluation" is the process of obtaining and interpreting data necessary for treatment, which includes, but is not limited to, planning for and documenting the evaluation process and results. The evaluation data may be gathered through record review, specific observation, interview, and the administration of data collection procedures, which include, but are not limited to, the use of standardized tests, performance checklists, and activities and tasks designed to evaluate specific performance abilities.
(10) "In association" as described in RCW 18.59.040
(7) means practicing in a setting in which an occupational therapist licensed in the state of Washington is available on the premises for supervision, consultation, and assistance as needed to provide protection for the client's health, safety and welfare.
(11) "Occupational therapy aide" means a person who is trained by an occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant to perform client and nonclient related tasks. Occupational therapy aides are not primary service providers of occupational therapy in any practice setting. Occupational therapy aides do not provide skilled occupational therapy services.
(12) "Professional supervision" of an occupational therapy aide as described in RCW 18.59.020
(5) means in-person contact at the treatment site by an occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant licensed in the state of Washington. When client related tasks are provided by an occupational therapy aide more than once a week, professional supervision must occur at least weekly. When client related tasks are provided by an occupational therapy aide once a week or less, professional supervision must occur at least once every two weeks.
(13) "Regular consultation" as described in RCW 18.59.020
(4) means in-person contact at least monthly by an occupational therapist licensed in the state of Washington with supervision available as needed by other methods which include but are not limited to phone and e-mail.
(14) "Scientifically based use of purposeful activity" is the treatment of individuals using established methodology based upon the behavioral and biological sciences and includes the therapeutic use of everyday life activities (occupations) with individuals or groups for the purpose of participation in roles and situations in home, school, workplace, community, and other settings. "Occupations" are activities having unique meaning and purpose in an individual's life.
(15) "Teaching daily living skills" is the instruction in daily living skills based upon the evaluation of all the components of the individual's disability and the adaptation or treatment based on the evaluation.
(16) "Working days" in RCW 18.59.040
(5) shall mean consecutive calendar days.
(17) "Work site" in RCW 18.59.080
means the primary work location.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.70.442
and 18.59.130. WSR 14-05-016, § 246-847-010, filed 2/10/14, effective 2/15/14. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.59.130
. WSR 07-20-076, § 246-847-010, filed 10/1/07, effective 11/1/07; WSR 92-18-015 (Order 300B), § 246-847-010, filed 8/24/92, effective 9/24/92; WSR 91-11-064 (Order 171B), § 246-847-010, filed 5/16/91, effective 6/16/91; WSR 91-05-027 (Order 112B), recodified as § 246-847-010, filed 2/12/91, effective 3/15/91. Statutory Authority: Chapter 18.59
RCW. WSR 90-16-071 (Order 075), § 308-171-001, filed 7/30/90, effective 8/30/90. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.59.130
and 18.130.050. WSR 87-09-044 (Order PM 645), § 308-171-001, filed 4/14/87. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.59.130
(2) and 18.130.050(1). WSR 86-17-064 (Order PM 610), § 308-171-001, filed 8/19/86. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.59.130
(2) and 18.59.020(5). WSR 86-10-004 (Order PL 588), § 308-171-001, filed 4/24/86. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.59.130
(2). WSR 85-12-010 (Order PL 529), § 308-171-001, filed 5/23/85. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.59.130
(2) and 18.59.020. WSR 85-05-008 (Order PL 513), § 308-171-001, filed 2/11/85.]