Provision for delegation of certain tasks.
(1) Nursing assistants perform tasks delegated by a registered nurse for patients in community-based care settings or in-home care settings each as defined in RCW 18.79.260
(2) Before performing any delegated task:
(a) Nursing assistants-registered must show the certificate of completion of both the basic caregiver training and core delegation training from the department of social and health services to the registered nurse delegator.
(b) Nursing assistants-certified must show the certificate of completion of the core delegation training from the department of social and health services to the registered nurse delegator.
(c) All nursing assistants must comply with all applicable requirements of the nursing care quality assurance commission in WAC 246-840-910
(d) All nursing assistants, registered and certified, who may be completing insulin injections must give a certificate of completion of diabetic training from the department of social and health services to the registered nurse delegator.
(e) All nursing assistants must meet any additional training requirements identified by the nursing care quality assurance commission. Any exceptions to additional training requirements must comply with RCW 18.79.260
(3) Delegated nursing care tasks described in this section are:
(a) Only for the specific patient receiving delegation;
(b) Only with the patient's consent; and
(4) A nursing assistant may consent or refuse to consent to perform a delegated nursing care task. The nursing assistant is responsible for their own actions with the decision to consent or refuse to consent and the performance of the delegated nursing care task.
(5) Nursing assistants shall not accept delegation of, or perform, the following nursing care tasks:
(a) Administration of medication by injection, with the exception of insulin injections;
(b) Sterile procedures;
(c) Central line maintenance;
(d) Acts that require nursing judgment.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.79.110
, 18.79.260, 18.88A060 [18.88A.060], and 18.88A.210. WSR 09-06-006, § 246-841-405, filed 2/18/09, effective 3/21/09. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.88A.060
and 2003 c 140. WSR 04-14-064, § 246-841-405, filed 7/2/04, effective 7/2/04. Statutory Authority: Chapter 18.88A
RCW. WSR 96-06-029, § 246-841-405, filed 2/28/96, effective 3/30/96.]