A dentist may allow registered dental assistants to perform the following supportive services under the dentist's close supervision:
(1) Oral inspection, with no diagnosis.
(2) Patient education in oral hygiene.
(3) Place and remove the rubber dam.
(4) Hold in place and remove impression materials after the dentist has placed them.
(5) Take impressions solely for diagnostic and opposing models.
(6) Take impressions and wax bites solely for study casts.
(7) Take impressions, fabricate, and deliver bleaching and fluoride trays.
(8) Remove the excess cement after the dentist has placed a permanent or temporary inlay, crown, bridge or appliance, or around orthodontic bands.
(9) Perform coronal polish.
(10) Give fluoride treatments.
(11) Place periodontal packs.
(12) Remove periodontal packs or sutures.
(13) Place a matrix and wedge for a metallic and nonmetallic direct restorative material after the dentist has prepared the cavity.
(14) Place a temporary filling (as zinc oxide-eugenol (ZOE)) after diagnosis and examination by the dentist.
(15) Apply tooth separators as for placement for Class III gold foil.
(16) Fabricate, place, and remove temporary crowns or temporary bridges.
(17) Pack and medicate extraction areas.
(18) Deliver an oral sedative drug to patient.
(19) Place topical anesthetics.
(20) Place retraction cord.
(21) Polish restorations at a subsequent appointment.
(22) Select denture shade and mold.
(23) Acid etch.
(24) Apply sealants.
(25) Place dental X-ray film and expose and develop the films.
(26) Take intra-oral and extra-oral photographs.
(27) Take health histories.
(28) Take and record blood pressure and vital signs.
(29) Give preoperative and postoperative instructions.
(30) Assist in the administration of inhalation minimal sedation (nitrous oxide) analgesia or sedation.
(31) Select orthodontic bands for size.
(32) Place and remove orthodontic separators.
(33) Prepare teeth for the bonding or orthodontic appliances.
(34) Fit and adjust headgear.
(35) Remove fixed orthodontic appliances.
(36) Remove and replace archwires and orthodontic wires.
(37) Take a facebow transfer for mounting study casts.
(38) Take impressions for temporary oral devices, such as but not limited to space maintainers, orthodontic retainers, and occlusal guards.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 18.260.120
and 18.32.0365. WSR 08-14-010, § 246-817-520, filed 6/19/08, effective 7/1/08. Statutory Authority: RCW 18.32.035
. WSR 95-21-041, § 246-817-520, filed 10/10/95, effective 11/10/95.]