The words and phrases in this chapter have the following meanings unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.
(1) "Alternative program" means a coordinated quality improvement program determined by the department to be substantially equivalent to RCW 70.41.200
(2) "Department" means the Washington state department of health.
(3) "Governing body" means:
(a) The person, persons or board responsible for the health care entity; or
(b) In the case of a provider group where no person, persons or board is in charge of all providers; the person, persons or group identified by the provider group is responsible for the coordinated quality improvement program.
(4) "Health care entity" means a health care institution, medical facility, provider group, professional society or organization, health care service contractors, health maintenance organizations, health carriers approved under chapter 48.43
RCW, and any other person or entity providing health care coverage under chapter 48.42
RCW that is subject to the jurisdiction of any state agency or any subdivision thereof, authorized by RCW 43.70.510
to have a department-approved coordinated quality improvement program.
(5) "Health care institution" or "medical facility" includes the following:
(a) Adult residential rehabilitation centers regulated under chapter 71.12
(b) Alcohol and drug treatment facilities and hospitals regulated under chapter 70.96A
(c) Emergency medical care and transportation services regulated under chapter 18.73
(d) Boarding homes regulated under chapter 18.20
(e) Childbirth centers regulated under chapter 18.46
(f) Community mental health centers regulated under chapter 71.05
(g) Home health agencies, home care agencies, hospice care centers, and hospice agencies regulated under chapter 70.127
(h) Medical test sites regulated under chapter 70.42
(i) Nursing homes regulated under chapter 18.51
(j) Pharmacies regulated under chapter 18.64
(k) Private psychiatric hospitals and residential treatment facilities for psychiatrically impaired children and youth regulated under chapter 71.12
(l) Rural health care facilities regulated under chapter 70.175
(m) Organizations that provide designated trauma care services individually or jointly under chapter 70.168
(n) Facilities owned and operated by a political subdivision or instrumentality of the state, including, but not limited to:
(i) Public health departments;
(ii) Fire districts and departments;
(iii) Soldiers' and veterans' homes;
(iv) State mental health institutions;
(v) Health clinics operated by educational institutions;
(vi) Department of corrections health care facilities;
(vii) County jail health clinics;
(viii) County drug and alcohol treatment facilities; and
(ix) Public hospital districts;
(o) Facilities required by federal law and implementing regulations, including, but not limited to:
(i) Native American health facilities; and
(ii) Veterans' affairs health services; and
(p) Other facilities that the department determines meet the definition of "health care facility" in RCW 48.43.005
(6) "Health care provider" or "provider" means:
(a) A person regulated under Title 18 RCW to practice health or health related services or otherwise practicing health care services in this state consistent with state law; or
(b) An employee or agent of a person described in (a) of this subsection, acting in the course and scope of the employee's or agent's employment performing health care or auxiliary services.
(7) "Health care provider group" or "provider group" means an organized body or consortium of five or more providers in total.
(8) "Negative health care outcome" means a patient death or impairment of bodily function other than those related to the natural course of illness, disease or proper treatment in accordance with generally accepted health care standards.
(9) "Professional society or organization" means a group of health care professionals, including, but not limited to, state or local health care professional associations.
(10) "Program" means coordinated quality improvement program under RCW 43.70.510
[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.70.510
, 70.41.200, 4.24.250. WSR 06-03-123, § 246-50-010, filed 1/18/06, effective 2/18/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.70.510
. WSR 96-09-042, § 246-50-010, filed 4/11/96, effective 5/12/96; WSR 94-24-001, § 246-50-010, filed 11/23/94, effective 12/24/94.]