To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
(1) Buildings shall be kept clean and in good repair.
(2) Instructional areas shall have a minimum average ceiling height of 8 feet. Ceiling height shall be the clear vertical distance from the finished floor to the finished ceiling. No projections from the finished ceiling shall be less than 7 feet vertical distance from the finished floor, e.g., beams, lighting fixtures, sprinklers, pipe work.
(3) All stairway[s] and steps shall have handrails and nonslip treads.
(4) The floors shall have an easily cleanable surface.
(5) The premises and all buildings shall be free of insects and rodents of public health significance and conditions which attract, provide harborage and promote propagation of vermin.
(6) All poisonous compounds shall be easily identified, used with extreme caution and stored in such a manner as to prevent unauthorized use or possible contamination of food and drink.
(7) There shall be sufficient space provided for the storage of outdoor clothing, play equipment and instructional equipment. The space shall be easily accessible, well lighted, heated and ventilated.
(8) Schools shall be provided with windows sufficient in number, size and location to permit students to see to the outside. Windows are optional in special purpose instructional areas including, but not limited to, little theaters, music areas, multipurpose areas, gymnasiums, auditoriums, shops, libraries and seminar areas. No student shall occupy an instructional area without windows more than 50 percent of the school day.
(9) Exterior sun control shall be provided to exclude direct sunlight from window areas and skylights of instructional areas, assembly rooms and meeting rooms during at least 80 percent of the normal school hours. Each area shall be considered as an individual case. Sun control is not required for sun angles less than 42 degrees up from the horizontal. Exterior sun control is not required if air conditioning is provided, or special glass installed having a total solar energy transmission factor less than 60 percent.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.20.050
. WSR 91-02-051 (Order 124B), recodified as § 246-366-050, filed 12/27/90, effective 1/31/91; WSR 82-07-015 (Order 225), § 248-64-260, filed 3/9/82; WSR 79-08-078 (Order 183), § 248-64-260, filed 7/26/79; Order 124, § 248-64-260, filed 3/18/76; Order 55, § 248-64-260, filed 6/8/71.]