To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
Safety procedures and instructions for remote afterloader units, teletherapy units, and gamma stereotactic radiosurgery units.
(1) A licensee shall:
(a) Secure the unit, the console, the console keys, and the treatment room when not in use or unattended;
(b) Permit only individuals approved by the authorized user, radiation safety officer, or authorized medical physicist to be present in the treatment room during treatment with the source(s);
(c) Prevent dual operation of more than one radiation producing device in a treatment room if applicable; and
(d) Develop, implement, and maintain written procedures for responding to an abnormal situation when the operator is unable to place the source(s) in the shielded position, or remove the patient or human research subject from the radiation field with controls from outside the treatment room. These procedures must include:
(i) Instructions for responding to equipment failures and the names of the individuals responsible for implementing corrective actions;
(ii) The process for restricting access to and posting of the treatment area to minimize the risk of inadvertent exposure; and
(iii) The names and telephone numbers of the authorized users, the authorized medical physicist, and the radiation safety officer to be contacted if the unit or console operates abnormally.
(2) A copy of the procedures required by subsection (1)(d) of this section must be physically located at the unit console.
(3) A licensee shall post instructions at the unit console to inform the operator of:
(a) The location of the procedures required by subsection (1)(d) of this section; and
(b) The names and telephone numbers of the authorized users, the authorized medical physicist, and the radiation safety officer to be contacted if the unit or console operates abnormally.
(4) A licensee shall provide instruction, initially and at least annually, to all individuals who operate the unit, as appropriate to the individual's assigned duties, in:
(a) The procedures identified in subsection (1)(d) of this section; and
(b) The operating procedures for the unit.
(5) A licensee shall ensure that operators, authorized medical physicists, and authorized users participate in drills of the emergency procedures, initially and at least annually.
(6) A licensee shall retain a record of individuals receiving instruction required by subsection (4) of this section, in accordance with WAC 246-240-590
(7) A licensee shall retain a copy of the procedures required by subsections (1)(d) and (4)(b) of this section in accordance with WAC 246-240-608
[Statutory Authority: RCW 70.98.050
. WSR 06-05-019, § 246-240-360, filed 2/6/06, effective 3/9/06.]