To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
(1) "Analytical X-ray equipment" means equipment used for X-ray diffraction or fluorescence analysis.
(2) "Analytical X-ray system" means a group of components utilizing X rays to determine the elemental composition or to examine the microstructure of materials.
(3) "Fail-safe characteristics" mean a design feature which causes beam port shutters to close, or otherwise prevents emergence of the primary beam, upon the failure of a safety or warning device.
(4) "Local components" mean parts of an analytical X-ray system and include areas that are struck by X rays such as radiation source housings, ports and shutter assemblies, collimators, sample holders, cameras, goniometers, detectors, and shielding, but do not include power supplies, transformers, amplifiers, readout devices, and control panels.
(5) "Normal operating procedures" mean step-by-step instructions necessary to accomplish the analysis. These procedures shall include sample insertion and manipulation, equipment alignment, routine maintenance by the registrant, and data recording procedures which are related to radiation safety.
(6) "Open-beam configuration" means a mode of operation of an analytical X-ray system in which an individual could accidentally place some part of their body into the primary beam during normal operation if no further safety devices are incorporated.
(7) "Primary beam" means ionizing radiation which passes through an aperture of the source housing via a direct path from the X-ray tube located in the radiation source housing.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.70.040
. WSR 91-02-049 (Order 121), recodified as § 246-228-010, filed 12/27/90, effective 1/31/91. Statutory Authority: RCW 70.98.050
. WSR 81-01-011 (Order 1570), § 402-40-020, filed 12/8/80; Order 1084, § 402-40-020, filed 1/14/76.]