As used in this part:
(1) "Enclosed radiography" means industrial radiography employing radiation machines conducted in an enclosed cabinet or room and includes cabinet radiography and shielded room radiography.
(a) "Cabinet radiography" means industrial radiography employing radiation machines conducted in an enclosure or cabinet so shielded that every location at the exterior of the enclosure or cabinet meets the condition specified in WAC 246-221-060
"Cabinet X-ray system" means an X-ray system with the X-ray tube installed in an enclosure (hereinafter termed "cabinet") which, independently of existing architectural structure except the floor on which it may be placed, is intended to contain at least that portion of a material being irradiated, provide radiation attenuation, and exclude personnel from its interior during generation of x-radiation. Included are all X-ray systems designed primarily for the inspection of carry-on baggage at airline, railroad, and bus terminals, and in similar facilities. An X-ray tube used within a shielded part of a building, or X-ray equipment which may temporarily or occasionally incorporate portable shielding is not considered a cabinet X-ray system.
(b) "Shielded-room radiography" means industrial radiography conducted in a room so shielded that every location on the exterior of the room meets the conditions specified in WAC 246-221-060
(2) "Industrial radiography" means the examination of the macroscopic structure of materials by nondestructive methods utilizing X-ray machines. Industrial radiography as used in this chapter does not include well logging operations.
(3) "Permanent radiographic installation" means an installation in which the shielding is an integral part to the building structure, such that the radiographic operations conducted there are not mobile and not temporary.
(4) "Personal supervision" means supervision by a radiographer such that the radiographer is physically present at the radiography site and in such proximity that communication can be maintained and immediate assistance given as required.
(5) "Radiographer" means any individual who performs or who, in attendance at the site where X-ray machines are being used, personally supervises industrial radiographic operations and who is responsible to the registrant for assuring compliance with the requirements of these regulations.
(6) "Radiographer's assistant" means any individual who, under the personal supervision of a radiographer, uses radiation machines, or radiation survey instruments in industrial radiography.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 70.98.050
. WSR 94-01-073, § 246-227-020, filed 12/9/93, effective 1/9/94.]