To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
Rules for notification of partners at risk of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
(1) A local health officer or authorized representative shall:
(a) Within three working days of receipt of a report of a previously unreported case of HIV infection, attempt to contact the principal health care provider to:
(i) Seek input on the best means of conducting a case investigation including partner notification; and
(ii) If appropriate, request that the provider contact the HIV-infected person as required in subsection (2) of this section.
(b) Contact the HIV-infected person to:
(i) Provide post-test counseling as described under WAC 246-100-209
(ii) Discuss the need to notify sex or injection equipment-sharing partners, including spouses, that they may have been exposed to and infected with HIV and that they should seek HIV testing; and
(iii) Offer assistance with partner notification as appropriate.
(c) Unless the health officer or designated representative determines partner notification is not needed or the HIV-infected person refuses assistance with partner notification, assist with notifying partners in accordance with the "Recommendations for Partner Services Programs for HIV Infection, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, and Chlamydial Infection" as published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, October 2008.
(2) If the local health officer or designated representative informs the principal health care provider that he or she intends to conduct a partner notification case investigation, the principal health care provider shall attempt to inform the HIV-infected person that the local health officer or authorized representative will contact the HIV-infected person for the purpose of providing assistance with the notification of partners.
(3) A health care provider shall not disclose the identity of an HIV-infected individual or the identity of sex and injection equipment-sharing partners, including spouses, at risk of HIV infection, except as authorized in RCW 70.24.105
or in this section.
(4) Local health officers and authorized representatives shall:
(a) Use identifying information, according to this section, on HIV-infected individuals only to:
(i) Contact the HIV-infected individual to provide post-test counseling and, as appropriate, referral to medical care, or to contact sex and injection equipment-sharing partners, including spouses; or
(ii) Carry out an investigation of conduct endangering the public health or of behaviors presenting an imminent danger to the public health pursuant to RCW 70.24.022
(b) Destroy documentation of referral information established under this subsection, containing identities and identifying information on the HIV-infected individual and at-risk partners of that individual, immediately after notifying partners or within three months of the date information was received, whichever occurs first, unless such documentation is being used in an active investigation of conduct endangering the public health or of behaviors presenting an imminent danger to the public health pursuant to RCW 70.24.022
(5) A health care provider may consult with the local health officer or an authorized representative about an HIV-infected individual and the need for notification of partners at any time.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 70.24.130
. WSR 10-01-082, § 246-100-072, filed 12/15/09, effective 1/15/10. Statutory Authority: RCW 70.24.130
. WSR 05-11-110, § 246-100-072, filed 5/18/05, effective 6/18/05. Statutory Authority: RCW 70.24.125
. WSR 99-17-077, § 246-100-072, filed 8/13/99, effective 9/1/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 70.24.022
, [70.24].340 and Public Law 104-146. WSR 97-15-099, § 246-100-072, filed 7/21/97, effective 7/21/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.20.050
. WSR 92-02-019 (Order 225B), § 246-100-072, filed 12/23/91, effective 1/23/92. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.20.050
. WSR 91-02-051 (Order 124B), recodified as § 246-100-072, filed 12/27/90, effective 1/31/91. Statutory Authority: Chapter 70.24
RCW. WSR 89-02-008 (Order 324), § 248-100-072, filed 12/27/88.]