(1) The department shall, upon request, make public records available for inspection and copying, during the department's normal business hours.
(2) The location of specific public records may be obtained by contacting the program where the records are maintained or the appointed public records disclosure designee.
(3) Requests to inspect or receive copies of public records must include:
(a) A description of the requested record or records;
(b) An indication whether the requestor wishes to inspect or receive a copy of the requested records;
(c) An address or other means through which the department may communicate with the requestor to clarify the request, provide information on copying charges and collect payment, and arrange for inspection or mailing of copies of the requested record or records; and
(d) If a list of names of individuals is being requested, an explanation of the purpose for which the request is made, consistent with RCW 42.17.260
(4) The department shall not charge a fee for the inspection of public records, however the department may charge for reimbursement of the costs incurred by providing copies.
(5) The department will determine the extent to which a public record is exempt from public disclosure under chapter 42.17
RCW or other statutes.
(6) The department, when denying a request for a public record in whole or in part, shall provide a statement of the specific statutory exemption that authorizes the withholding of the record or information and a brief explanation of how the exemption applies to the record or information withheld.
(7) If the department denies a record, in whole or in part, the requestor may seek review of the decision by sending a written request for review to the Agency Public Records Disclosure Officer, P.O. Box 47890, Olympia, WA 98504-7890.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.70.040, 43.70.050, 34.05.220, 42.17.250, 70.02.005. 06-11-056, § 246-08-420, filed 5/11/06, effective 6/11/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.70.050. 93-08-004 (Order 346), § 246-08-420, filed 3/24/93, effective 4/24/93.]