(1) "Bird" means any wild animal of the class Aves.
(2) "Dedicated workspace" means the minimum amount of floor space necessary to maintain access to oiled bird rehabilitation pens.
(3) "Director" means the director of the department of fish and wildlife or his or her designee.
(4) "Drying resources" mean the floor space and pen requirements associated with the removal of water from the skin and feathers of a bird.
(5) "Hacking" means the release, sometimes temporary, of a raptor to the wild so that it may survive on its own.
(6) "Imping" means a method of replacing a broken feather with an undamaged feather by cutting the shaft of the broken feather on the bird, trimming the replacement feather to the correct length, and gluing the shaft of the replacement feather to the shaft of the broken feather.
(7) "Imprinting" means when a very young animal fixes its attention on and follows the first object or creature it sees, hears, or touches, and becomes socially, and later sexually, bonded to that object or creature, identifying itself as whatever it imprints upon.
(8) "Indoor area" means the space within an oiled bird rehabilitation facility in which the air temperature and exchange of air can be controlled and maintained. Indoor areas can include oiled bird rehabilitation pools, morgues, freezers, isolation/intensive care units, medical laboratories, laundry and storage facilities, and electrical and mechanical equipment. These areas may consist of space for conducting intake, prewash holding, washing and rinsing, drying, necropsy, and preparing bird food.
(9) "Intake space" means the minimum amount of floor space necessary to admit live or dead birds into an oiled bird rehabilitation facility.
(10) "Mesh size" means the measured distance between one vertical side of a mesh unit and the opposite vertical side of the same mesh unit when the netting is pulled taut.
(11) "Oil" means oil of any kind and any form, such as petroleum and nonpetroleum oils including, but not limited to, crude oil and refined petroleum products, animal fats and vegetable oil, other oils of animal or vegetable origin, and other nonpetroleum oils.
(12) "Oiled bird" means a bird that has come in contact with oil.
(13) "Oiled bird rehabilitation pen" means an enclosure used to hold birds during oiled bird rehabilitation.
(14) "Oiled bird rehabilitation pool" means a container filled with fresh water used during the rehabilitation of oiled birds.
(15) "Oiled bird rehabilitation" is a specialized form of wildlife rehabilitation and means the process of caring for oiled birds during intake, prewash holding, washing and rinsing, and drying, to allow the birds to return to their natural habitat. This form of rehabilitation includes keeping the birds in pools and providing semi-static and static areas with steady air temperatures and air exchanges while the birds are in the rehabilitation facility.
(16) "Oiled bird rehabilitation facility" is a type or portion of a wildlife rehabilitation facility and means the indoor and outdoor areas used for the rehabilitation of oiled birds.
(17) "Outdoor area" means an area within an oiled bird rehabilitation facility that does not fit the definition of an indoor area.
(18) "Orphan-imprinting" means to use wildlife for the purpose of feeding, socializing, and teaching appropriate wild behavior to young wildlife.
(19) "Permit" means a wildlife rehabilitation permit without any additional endorsements.
(20) "Prewash holding resources" mean the floor-space and oiled bird rehabilitation-pen capabilities of an oiled bird rehabilitation facility to hold birds after intake and prior to washing.
(21) "Primary permittee" means the person listed on the wildlife rehabilitation permit who originally applied for and received the permit and is licensed to practice wildlife rehabilitation.
(22) "Principal veterinarian" means a licensed veterinarian who agrees, in writing, to assist, direct, and oversee a wildlife rehabilitator in conducting wildlife rehabilitation services and activities.
(23) "Public display" means to place or locate wildlife so that they may be viewed by the public.
(24) "Semi-static areas" mean dedicated indoor spaces within an oiled bird rehabilitation facility where the required size of the space will vary relative to the number of birds to be rehabilitated. These include areas for preparing bird food, conducting necropsies, and storing and freezing items.
(25) "Static areas" mean dedicated indoor spaces within an oiled bird rehabilitation facility where the required size of the space does not vary, regardless of the number of birds to be rehabilitated. These areas include isolation/intensive care units, medical laboratories, laundry facilities, and electrical and mechanical equipment.
(26) "Subpermittee" means persons listed on the primary permittee's (also "wildlife rehabilitator") wildlife rehabilitation permit who care for wildlife away from the rehabilitation facility with the permission and under the direction of the primary licensed wildlife rehabilitation permittee ("primary permittee"). The primary permittee is responsible for monitoring and approving the subpermittee's conduct, practices, and facilities.
(27) "Veterinarian" means a licensed veterinarian.
(28) "Wash/rinse resources" mean the water, cleaning agent, and space requirements necessary to remove oil from the skin and feathers of a bird.
(29) "Wildlife rehabilitation" means the care and treatment of injured, diseased, oiled, or abandoned wildlife, including, but not limited to, capturing, transporting, treating, feeding, housing, and conditioning animals so they can be released back to the wild.
(30) "Wildlife rehabilitation facility," or "facility," means the authorized site(s), as shown on the wildlife rehabilitation permit, where treatment and rehabilitation of wildlife takes place.
(31) "Wildlife rehabilitation permit" means a permit issued by the director that authorizes a person to practice wildlife rehabilitation.
(32) "Wildlife rehabilitator" means a person who conducts wildlife rehabilitation and possesses a current wildlife rehabilitator permit from the department.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 77.12.047
, 77.12.240, 77.12.467, 77.12.469, and 77.32.070. WSR 13-18-046 (Order 13-192), § 232-12-275, filed 8/30/13, effective 9/30/13. Statutory Authority: RCW 77.12.047
and 90.56.110. WSR 09-01-123, § 232-12-275, filed 12/19/08, effective 1/19/09. Statutory Authority: RCW 77.12.047
. WSR 06-09-021 (Order 06-67), § 232-12-275, filed 4/11/06, effective 5/12/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 77.12.047
and 90.56.110. WSR 04-20-020 (Order 04-250), § 232-12-275, filed 9/27/04, effective 10/28/04. Statutory Authority: RCW 77.12.040
. WSR 98-01-210 (Order 97-251), § 232-12-275, filed 12/23/97, effective 1/23/98. Statutory Authority: RCW 77.12.040
, 77.12.700 and 77.12.010. WSR 96-12-045, § 232-12-275, filed 5/31/96, effective 7/1/96. Statutory Authority: RCW 77.12.030
and 77.12.040. WSR 88-09-036 (Order 308), § 232-12-275, filed 4/15/88.]