(1) Juvenile fishing events are restricted to persons under fifteen years of age. A juvenile fishing event exists when ten or more juveniles fish competitively and determine winners, regardless of prize value.
(2) It is unlawful for a juvenile fishing event sponsor to fail to notify the department regional office in the region in which the event will occur prior to holding a juvenile fishing event. The department shall approve or deny the juvenile fishing event. It is unlawful to sponsor a juvenile fishing event if the department has denied approval of the event. Violation of this subsection is an infraction, punishable under RCW 77.15.160
(3) Juvenile fishing events that may adversely affect fish or wildlife resources or other recreational opportunity may be denied. Juvenile fishing events are not allowed on sea-run cutthroat trout, Dolly Varden, or bull trout.
(4) The daily limit for the juvenile fishing event shall not exceed the daily limit for the species being fished in the body of water where the event is being held, except that the event sponsor may set a daily limit lower than the daily limit for the body of water. Events are restricted to approved waters.
(5) Events may not exceed three consecutive days.
(6) Event participants may not restrict public access at boat launches.
(7) The total prizes awarded for any juvenile fishing event may not exceed $1,000.
(8) Juvenile fishing event sponsors requesting fish from the department are required to apply for fish by February 1st of the year in which the event is planned.
Sponsors who receive fish are required to report event information required by the department by February 1st of the year following the event. Failure to report event information will result in a denial of fish for the calendar year following the calendar year during which the event was held.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 77.12.047. 06-09-021 (Order 06-67), § 232-12-272, filed 4/11/06, effective 5/12/06; 02-08-048 (Order 02-53), § 232-12-272, filed 3/29/02, effective 5/1/02.]