To print a page in the WAC, use your browser’s normal print functions (Ctrl-P on a PC, Command-P on a Mac, or File > Print on either). The resulting printed page will show just the content and not the banner at the top, the left-side navigation, or the footer links. To see how the page will look before you print it, use your browser’s Print Preview.
Activities to promote child growth and development.
(1) An activity program must be implemented that is designed to meet the developmental, cultural, and individual needs of the children in care. The activity program must contain a range of learning experiences for the children to:
(a) Gain self-esteem, self-awareness, conflict resolution, self-control, and decision-making abilities;
(b) Develop socially, emotionally, intellectually, and physically;
(c) Learn about nutrition, health, and personal safety;
(d) Experiment, create, and explore; and
(e) Recognize and support positive cultural and individual identities.
(2) The activity program schedule must include activities that offer a variety of options including a balance between:
(a) Child-initiated and staff-initiated activities;
(b) Free choice and organized events;
(c) Individual and group activities; and
(d) Quiet and active experiences.
(3) The activity program schedule must include activities that provide the children daily opportunities for small and large muscle activities and outdoor play.
(4) The program schedule must include the opportunity for the children to participate in moderate to vigorous physical activity on an average of thirty minutes for every three hours of care.
(5) Program staff should encourage learning in school.
(6) The child care program must operate under a regular schedule of activities with allowances for special events when applicable.
(7) Child movements must be managed from one planned activity or care area to another to achieve smooth, unregimented transitions by:
(a) Establishing familiar routines;
(b) Contributing to learning experiences; and
(c) Maintaining staff-to-child ratio and group size guidelines.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 43.215
RCW. WSR 12-23-057, § 170-297-6575, filed 11/19/12, effective 12/20/12.]