What sleep equipment do I need for infants?
(1) You must not put infants to sleep in infant swings, car seats, or similar equipment.
(2) You must provide each infant with a single-level crib (stacking cribs must not be used), infant bed, bassinet or playpen for napping until you and the parent agree that the child can safely use a mat, cot or other approved sleeping equipment.
(3) You must provide a crib, infant bed, playpen or bassinet mattress that is:
(a) Snug fitting and touches each side of the crib to prevent the infant from becoming entrapped between the mattress and crib side rails;
(b) Waterproof; and
(c) Easily cleaned and sanitized, without tears or tape.
(4) To allow walking room between cribs and reduce the spread of germs you must:
(a) Space cribs a minimum of thirty inches apart. You may place cribs end to end if you provide a barrier. If you use barriers, staff must be able to observe and have immediate access to each child.
(b) Provide a moisture resistant and easily cleanable solid barrier on the side or end adjacent to another crib.
(5) You must provide an appropriate fitting sheet or cover for the sleeping surface.
(6) You must launder bedding at least weekly and more often if it becomes soiled.
(7) Effective December 28, 2012, each crib in use in licensed child care must meet U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) requirements for full size cribs as defined in 16 Code of Federal Regulations (C.F.R.) 1219, or nonfull size cribs as defined in 16 C.F.R. 1220.
(a) A crib meets the requirements of this subsection if the crib is labeled by the manufacturer as made on or after June 28, 2011.
(b) A crib labeled as made from July 1, 2010 through June 27, 2011, may meet the requirements of this subsection if the licensee has obtained a certificate of compliance from the crib manufacturer or importer, or the licensee has other documentation from the manufacturer that the crib is certified as meeting the CPSC regulations.
(c) Any crib that does not meet the requirements of (a) or (b) of this subsection must be removed from the child care facility not later than December 28, 2012.
(d) The licensee must keep in the licensed space a log documenting that each crib in use meets the requirements of this section.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.215.060
, and chapter 43.215
RCW. WSR 15-17-131, § 170-295-4100, filed 8/19/15, effective 9/19/15. Statutory Authority: Chapter 43.215
RCW and 16 C.F.R. parts 1219, 1220, 1500, et al. WSR 12-22-023, § 170-295-4100, filed 10/30/12, effective 11/30/12. WSR 06-15-075, recodified as § 170-295-4100, filed 7/13/06, effective 7/13/06. Statutory Authority: Chapters 74.12
RCW. WSR 04-09-093, § 388-295-4100, filed 4/20/04, effective 5/21/04; WSR 03-14-110, § 388-295-4100, filed 6/30/03, effective 8/1/03.]