The following definitions shall apply for the interpretation of these regulations:
(1) The "university" means Central Washington University as a whole, including any and all of its component departments, offices, or units.
(2) "Directory information" means the student's name, university and permanent home address and telephone number, e-mail address, a photograph, date of birth, dates of attendance, class, major field(s) of study, previous institutions attended, awards and honors (including honor roll), degrees conferred (including dates), and participation in officially recognized sports and activities, and height and weight of members of athletic teams. Central Washington University may release directory information in accordance with the provisions of FERPA. Students may withhold directory information by giving written notice within two weeks after the beginning of fall quarter. Requests for nondisclosure must be forwarded to the office of the vice-president for student affairs and enrollment management where an appropriate notation will be indicated on the student's file on the student information system. Students may place a nondisclosure indicator on their student record directly on the student information system. Requests for nondisclosure will be honored unless students submit a written request to have the block on their directory information removed. Students who wish to withhold directory information after they graduate, which would include their dates of attendance and degrees conferred, must submit another written request to the vice-president for student affairs and enrollment management. Forms for making requests to withhold directory information are available in the Office of the Vice-President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, Bouillon Hall, Room 204, at the Ellensburg campus.
(3) "Eligible student" means any person who is officially registered at this university.
(4)(a) "Education records" mean those records which:
(i) Are directly related to a student, and include admission, academic, financial aid, student account, placement records, and
(ii) Are maintained by the university or by a party acting for the university.
(b) The term education record does not include the following:
(i) Records of instructional, supervisory, and administrative personnel and educational personnel ancillary thereto which are in the sole possession of the maker of the record and which are not accessible or revealed to any other person except a temporary substitute;
(ii) Records of public safety and police services which are maintained separately and solely for law enforcement officials of the same jurisdiction -- provided that education records maintained by the university are not disclosed to the law enforcement unit;
(iii) Records of someone employed by the university, which are made in the normal course of business, related exclusively to the person as an employee, and are not used for any other purpose;
(iv) Records made by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional or paraprofessional directly related to the treatment of a student, and not disclosed to anyone other than individuals providing treatment provided records can be reviewed by a physician or other appropriate professional of the student's choice.
(5) "Personally identifiable" means that the data or information includes:
(a) The name of a student, the student's parent, or other family member,
(b) The student's university and permanent home address,
(c) A personal identifier, such as the student's social security number or student number,
(d) A list of personal characteristics which would make the student's identity easily traceable, or
(e) Other information which would make the student's identity easily traceable.
(6) "Record" means information or data recorded in any medium including but not limited to: Handwriting, print, tapes, film, microfilm, and microfiche.
(7) "Financial aid" means a payment of funds provided to an individual which is conditioned on the individual's attendance at an educational agency or institution.
(8) "Vice-president for student affairs and enrollment management" means the vice-president for student affairs and enrollment management or the vice-president's designee.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.10.528, 28B.35.120(12) and 41 C.R.F. [C.F.R.] 06-50. 06-23-107, § 106-172-711, filed 11/17/06, effective 12/18/06. Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.10.528 and 28B.35.120(12). 94-21-048 (Order CWU AO 75), § 106-172-711, filed 10/12/94, effective 11/12/94. Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.19.050 and 28B.35.120(11). 86-23-007 (Order 59), § 106-172-711, filed 11/7/86. Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.19.050 and 28B.40.120. 78-08-011 (Order 39), § 106-172-711, filed 7/11/78; Order 35, § 106-172-711, filed 7/13/77; Order 29, § 106-172-711, filed 8/2/76; Order 23, § 106-172-711, filed 7/31/75. Formerly WAC 106-172-710 (part).]